Re: [Epic] off topic:Wd leaderless?

From: Chris Miller <ironstar_at_...>
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 1998 00:22:18 -0600

><< To cut the story short, he got pretty worked up over the whole matter.
Me
> thinks this is because E40K sales has been very disappointing. And the
> feedback that these GW guys get is that E40K is too simple as compared to
> Epic. Mayhaps someone could compile the mails that just went on a few days
> ago on the list :) >>
>
>I think the big problem E40k is having, is that there really is no target
>audience for it.
-----> Damn right - let's review:
 It's a game that allows nothing but tactics. Powergamers

>(which would, unfortunately, mean many younger people who have begun to
play
>40k and WHFB within the past few years) see no value in it
---------> So, the people that play their other games aren't interested or
excited about...

 Many Epic veterans are horribly bitter about the fact that GW
>totally redesigned their game.
---------> ....And the people who played the previous versions of this game
aren't interested or excited about it...

>But, this is a hard concept for young 40k players, or old SM/TL vets to
>understand. They want this model to shoot at that one, etc, etc...
-----------> I don't think it's harder, it's just radically different from
the rest of their games. Many of us play a lot of other games, more or less
complicated, mini or not mini, etc, but we vets has a game we liked, spent a
lot of time and money on it, and then we got yanked in favor of a
theoretical new audience, which has not materialized. Heh.

 Maybe,
>someday, E40k'll catch on.
--------> Part of me says "any Epic is better than no Epic" , and part of me
says "they need to learn a lesson."