Re: [Epic] Barrage Issues

From: Thane Morgan <thane_at_...>
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 1998 10:32:29 -0700

Jesse Thomas Oechsner wrote:

> > > "... the barrage does not count as a super heavy weapon for placing
> > > Blast markers." (p.32 Rule Book)
> >
> > >OK, so my group was doing it correctly and there is no need
> > >to trouble Jervis.
> >
> > Well, I think there might be just cause in doing so.
> >
> > This is why:
> > "ARTILLERY AND BLASTMARKERS: Blast Markers effect artillery in the
> > same way that they effect super heavy weapons. Barrage weapons are
> > still super heavy weapons, even if they are artillery. This means that
> > artillery lose a shot for each blast marker on the detachment not just
> > a point of firepower from the total - so a few blast markers are going
> > to cut down your artillery's effectiveness very quickly." - (pg29,
> > WD216)
> >
> You are correct, one blast marker prevents a barrage weapon from firing.
> But I think the point that was in question was how barrage weapons
> _give_ blast markers. The process is:
> 1 place barrage template
> 2 find the number of units under the template
> (any part of a vehicle, 3 of 5 infantry on a stand, or 2 of 3 bikes,
> cavalry, or tyranid warriors on a stand)
> 3 multiply the number found in step 2 by the number of barrage weapons
> firing to find total FP
> 4 use this FP total to figure out how many blast markers are placed on
> target detachment
> 5 repeat step 3. this time, subtract the number of blast markers on the
> firing detachment from the number of barrage weapons firing before you
> multiply.
> 6 use the total from step 5 to figure out how many dice you roll.
> 7 roll dice, kill stuff, cackle, gloat, etc. etc.
>
> I hope this helps almost as much as I hope it's correct.
> I hate looking like an idiot.
> Jesse

I don't know anymore, either. If BM's make the shot less accurate, i'd
say place the template if it will be cancelled out later. If BM's
keep it from firing at all, don't place the template.

On another note: how many Tyrannid warrior stands so you get from the
new sprues? Is this a three or five membered stand?

Thane