Re: [Epic] Barrage Issues

From: Jesse Thomas Oechsner <fade_at_...>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 1997 13:18:39 -0600 (CST)

> > "... the barrage does not count as a super heavy weapon for placing
> > Blast markers." (p.32 Rule Book)
>
> >OK, so my group was doing it correctly and there is no need
> >to trouble Jervis.
>
> Well, I think there might be just cause in doing so.
>
> This is why:
> "ARTILLERY AND BLASTMARKERS: Blast Markers effect artillery in the
> same way that they effect super heavy weapons. Barrage weapons are
> still super heavy weapons, even if they are artillery. This means that
> artillery lose a shot for each blast marker on the detachment not just
> a point of firepower from the total - so a few blast markers are going
> to cut down your artillery's effectiveness very quickly." - (pg29,
> WD216)

You are correct, one blast marker prevents a barrage weapon from firing.
But I think the point that was in question was how barrage weapons
_give_ blast markers. The process is:
 1 place barrage template
 2 find the number of units under the template
     (any part of a vehicle, 3 of 5 infantry on a stand, or 2 of 3 bikes,
      cavalry, or tyranid warriors on a stand)
 3 multiply the number found in step 2 by the number of barrage weapons
    firing to find total FP
 4 use this FP total to figure out how many blast markers are placed on
    target detachment
 5 repeat step 3. this time, subtract the number of blast markers on the
    firing detachment from the number of barrage weapons firing before you
    multiply.
 6 use the total from step 5 to figure out how many dice you roll.
 7 roll dice, kill stuff, cackle, gloat, etc. etc.

I hope this helps almost as much as I hope it's correct.
I hate looking like an idiot.
Jesse