Re: [Epic] blast markers & morale

From: Thane Morgan <thane_at_...>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 1998 20:25:08 -0700

Alan E & Carmel J Brain wrote:

> Kalle Marjola wrote:
> >
> > Ok, after a few battles it has come quite obvious that standard morale
> > rules
> > for blast markers are unsable.
>
> Don't agree. That's what reserves are for. As soon as one unit
> accumulates more than about 5 BMs, it should be replaced by a 'fresh'
> unit (usually from the rear).
>
> As regards a limit on the morale that could be lost - so far, I haven't
> seen the problem manifested. Such a limit would be best based upon the
> cost of the unit - the morale that it adds to its army. Probably a limit
> of no more than X x Morale, so for example a 90 pt unit ( 2 morale)
> could contribute no more than 2X per turn.
> But again, with use of reserves, I've never seen the problem occur. Yes,
> I've used 12 Pulsa Rocket units to cover an overwatching unit of Land
> Raiders with BMs. Because that was the only possible way of forcing them
> out! As it was, my opponent had another 2 units (of Space Marines) in
> reserve, and it was they who took over before I could assault. The LRs
> then proceeded to retreat (march) to the rear, recover their BMs (took
> them 3 turns to get down to 5 from over 20), and then counter-attacked.
>
> If you make it based on units, then Orks will start taking
> all-Battlefortress anmd all-Gargant armies, so will be immune to Eldar
> WaveSerpents main effects. Silly.

You know, the more this guy writes, the more I think he must mostly play
with himself. However, he has inadvertently made an excellent
observation/suggestion. Basing maximum morale loss on the number of
units could lead to using armies of single models; Two solutions:

1) maximum morale loss to blast markers = the number of units in
detatchment or (half of) the detachments damage capacity (not sure which
would work better).

or

2) Maximum morale loss to blast markers = normal morale for the unit. I
like this solution better; why would an army lose more morale for a
pinned down regiment than for the actual detachments destruction? It
also gives reasonable morale liabilities to titans; 12 for a warlord, 4
for a warhound, 18 for an imperator (losing sight of your imperator in a
cloud of barrages might be that demoralizing).

Thane