Re: [Epic] Epic: Campaign Scenarios

From: Thane Morgan <thane_at_...>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 1998 21:17:11 -0700

Steve Kosciw wrote:

> Here are a few ideas...:
>
> The defending player's resources can be taken away by controlling certain
> important objectives...
>
> Have a battle to control the planet's communication centre (which would
> involve kidnapping/killing the astropaths..?)
>
> Whoever controls this territory can send for reinforcements, without it
> you can't...
>
> Have an airbase for flyers... once destroyed or captured the defenser
> losses the ability to use flyers (or looses most of the flyers..either
> way..)
>
> Ammo Dumps...Fuel Dumps...cut the defenders point values for vehicles in
> the next battles....
>
> It should also be possible to hurt the attacker by counterattacking the
> drop zone, and deployment areas...
>
> One vital objective would be the dropships themselves without which the
> attacker is stranded...
>
> The attacker would also have fuel dumps and such.
>
> For a really large campaign what about throwing in factories and large
> bases without which you can't repair your Titans or WE (DC stays lost!!)
>
> To my mind the way to go is you give each objective both a good fluff
> reason to take it AND a useful advantage given...
>
> -Steve

This reminds me of a campaign I was making for TL. Unfortunately, they
drove off most of the old players before we got to do it. I actually
think it would work better in this system, as the reserve rules and
flyer rules are more compatable.

A Squat world developed at the center of a prosperous trade crossroads.
It was widely viewed as impenetrable, so even the imperium was willing
to give it a certain degree of autonomy (though it pained them greatly).

Then a branch of hive fleet Kraken ran through. The squats enlisted some
help from eldar and imperial troops, who had their own interests to
protect on the planet. Though casualties were horrendous on all sides (
they always are, aren't they?), they finally eliminated the last of
tyrannids on the planet; stiff defense from inside of the impenetrable
capital kept the capitial relatively untouched, though much of the
planet was wasted by the assault. But a few days after the last hive
ship plummeted to ground, a plague swept through the squat population.
Seeming engineered to the few related clans on the planet, only one in
twenty native squats survived the week.

The universe abhors a vacuum, especially a rich one. The defending
forces suddenly found themselves guarding a largely defenseless,
extremely succulent fruit . . .

The campaign focussed on the capture of the mostly undamaged captial.
The map was devided into irregular sectors, each with a certain terrain
type (park, merchant plaza's, rubble, heavily built up, etc.) which
affected what terrain and how it tended to be placed. I was going to be
a "game master" type, allowing for hidden strategic moves. I was going
to play "random" event battles and defend the capital's center with
squats for the final battle of control ( these native squats would not
attack unless an opponent attacked them first)

Their were certain rescources to capture: repair bays, hospitals, power
stations, air fields, planetary defense artillery, gates, and power
stations (needed to run all of this stuff). These were located in the
sectors at the begining of the game, some could be mobilized with a
certain strenght of army. Reinforcements could only come through gates
and few at that, so hospitals and repair bays were vital. At the end of
each battle, they could try to repair "destroyed" units.

I'll see if I can find them again; I can't see using them myself until
we can get more than 4 people in our group ( used to have 12 or so).

Thane