Re: [Epic] How do the Army lists work?

From: J. Michael Looney <mlooney_at_...>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 1998 14:51:28 -0600

Larry "Liquid" Plummer wrote:

> I have been looking around like crazy and cannot find it anywhere that
> states the command unit is a main force unit. Wouldn't that defeat the
> purpose of having actual command unit stands? A prime example of non main
> force command can be found on page 18 of WD 216. It shows 1 commander unit,
> 2 seperate command sections, AND 8 main force squads. That leads a person to
> think that command units are seperate from main force units. If anyone has a
> rule or WD stating different, please let me know.

It's real simple, and in the rules.
If there are units listed in the command section, they are "extra" and don't
count as main force (example: All infantry detachments). If all the command
section says is +25 points read the note attached to it. Example (IG Artillery)
"Any unit that is part of the detachment cna be designated as the detachment HQ
subject to the chain of command. If the original HQ is eliminated the next unit
below on the chain of command becomes the new HQ.

Note that in some cases you can do it either way (Space Marine Infantry as an
example), some MUST have a command level unit (Ork Warbands as an example) and
some may NOT have a command level unit that is not a member of the main force
(IG Tanks).

As a side note, the design of the IG tanks detachment makes doing Tank Companies
(10-17 tanks in the real world) easy, but makes doing platoons (3-5 tank) or
Battalions (31-54 tanks) a bit of a bother.

Example:
A "Army formally known as Soviet" line tank battalion had:
1 Command tank:
    3 companies each
        1 command tank
    3 platoons each
        3 tanks

Total 31 tanks. (plus some support odds and ends that would not make it on to
an epic battle field)

How do you do this detachment? My version of it is part of the "Imperial Guard
Motor Rifle Regiment" and can be seen at:

http://www.spellbooksoftware.com/epic/detachents/MotorRifleRgt/

I ended up with the battalion command being a seperate detachment with 3
companies under it.