Re: [Epic] How do the Army lists work?

From: Alun Gallie <gallie_at_...>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 1998 07:56:43 +0930

>I have been looking around like crazy and cannot find it anywhere that
>states the command unit is a main force unit. Wouldn't that defeat the
>purpose of having actual command unit stands? A prime example of non main
>force command can be found on page 18 of WD 216. It shows 1 commander unit,
>2 seperate command sections, AND 8 main force squads. That leads a person
>think that command units are seperate from main force units. If anyone has
>rule or WD stating different, please let me know.
>
>Liquid

Depends on which Detachment List you are using.
IE.
Imperial Gaurd Infantry Detachment allows -
(all up to )
3 Command squads (in command section of det. sheet)
3 Squads for each command (9)
so a total inf. det can be 3 + 9 = 12 squads + support
(interestingly you can have up to 10 support as long as you don't exeed main
units, well unless I'm missing something you can only have 9 main units max,
so I'd like to see someone get 10 support.
With Space Marines Inf., Ork Boyz then your command may be additional to
main force units as this is clearly in lists. ie. up to 1 Space Marine
Captain. So they can be 12 units. 10 main force + Captain(Warlord) +
Librarian(Weirdboy) and of course any support allowed.
However in the examples originally quoted (Lehman Russes, T'Hawks, and Imp.
Arty.) the list do not contain command options just a 25pt command cost
which says (see note)
NOTE SAYS
Any Unit that is part of this detachment can be designated as the detachment
HQ subject to the chain of command. etc etc

NOTE
Theses units chains of command state Any main force unit (in case of imp
armour must go to LRuss first if present.)
So in answer, as is clearly stated in the rules max unit size for units in
question is
30 Lehman Russes (985pts)+Support
10 Basilisks(or like) (435pts) + Support
10 T'Hawks (825pts)
I would never actually expect to see any of these units though, but then I
never expected to read of someone using NINE DEATHSTRIKES.
Guys, try some balance in your games, it might suprise you how enjoyable
they can be.
Cheers
Alun