Re: [Epic] Buildings 1/285

From: Thane Morgan <thane_at_...>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 1998 20:00:55 -0700

Alun Gallie wrote:

> Hi,
> I am looking at purchasing some scenery, mainly buildings as I have plenty
> of trees and hills. Also want some river sections. I never seem to have the
> time to get around to making any as there is always something else to paint,
> a game to play, a assignment to finish or a dogshow to go to so have decided
> to just purchase a few. I have looked at Geohex's web page and seen the 2
> ranges of 1/300 they offer. Does anyone have knowledge of these figures or
> any other suitable ranges ? Value for money ? Quality ? Scale compatability
> ?
> Cheers
> Alun

Rivers are absurdly easy to make. Most hobby stores carry 18" foam pads
in bright colors, for ~ $1 each. Pick up a couple of blue/ green pieces.
Figure out how wide you want your rivers to be, and measure that width
several times along the edges, with some space between them. cut the
peices out; don't worry about changing the widths in the middle of the
sheet, so long as the cuts end at the premeasured marks on the edge of
the foam. Curves can be made by measuring a line of the correct length
at angles to the edge of the foam.

Take the shapes, and paint a thin edge of rubber cement. Dip them in
flock. Dry brush a darker blue through the center; use several layers if
you want them to look really good. Use some tree foam or lichen to put
bushes on the edge. Glue some sand on sections you want to call fords.

Thats's it. I made about 10' of river in ~ 3 hours this way, with lots
of curves, branches and a lake. They are also durable and if one
does get damaged, so what? It cost you a few cents to do.

Thane