Re: Sv: [Epic] Casualties

From: Thane Morgan <thane_at_...>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 1998 20:29:33 -0700

Sauron Moridor wrote:

> Sauron1 Writes: Than; I have used the white glue mixed directly into
> green/brown paint over pink or blue house insulation styrofoam for hills
> for quite a while now. I also sprinkle on and brush in fine childrens
> play sand for a rougher look to hills for 15-25mm figures.I varry the
> effect with cans of water sollible spray paints a day or two later.
>
> Some terrain boards I have done for my wargame club are over 15 years
> old now.I have used industreal grade hydrocal plaster for contract hill
> works but the end result is a very heavy product (but practically
> indestructable)
>
> ` My next project is smaller vision barrier/impassible terrain style
> pieces not unlike the high flat topped sierras found in deaserts like
> the American southwest.And seen in countless Westerns.Have you tried
> thease?
>
> sauron1_at_...

Yeah, I live in albuquerque, NM, just an hour away from one of the
coolest mesa areas around. It's hard not to be inspired. One of the
tribes built their town on top of one ( the Acoma's); they fought off
the spanish for three days from it.

There's a really cool National park an hour west, called El Malpais. Its
a series of roughly 120' sandstone cliffs overlooking a valley that has
rivers of lava (basalt, now) from erruptions roughly a thousand years
ago. There's some arches and isolated mesas that the cliffs have eroded
back from standing out in the lava fields. The rivulets of basalt trail
apart to the south of the valley, their roughly 10' high and 20' -50'
wide. Certain vegetation types like them better than the surrounding
soil, so very green brush accents the black rock. There's supposedly
some ice caves in the middle of the lava field.

Don't get me started on the Grand Canyon.

I've made several different peices of rocky cliffs, pillars and arches,
but haven't like any of them enough to bass all of my terrain off of one
style yet. I've made a fair number of basalt pieces as well, which is
nice cover for infantry.

Hey, if you want to E-mail your address, I'll see if I can send a few
post cards or pictures from the Acoma valley and surroundings.

Thane