Re: [Epic] Project Guard

From: J. Michael Looney <mlooney_at_...>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 10:24:39 -0600

Mark A Shieh wrote:

> "J. Michael Looney" <mlooney_at_...> writes:
> > As was pointed out in the latest Q&A the people at GW have zero
> clues as
> > to why we don't like the current IG.
> >
> > Other options:
> > Hack apart the current army list.
> >
> > My 1st pass at this:
>
> > IG Squad
> > 2 IG units 14 pts
>
> What? No assault upgrade?
I assume you are joking here. There are no assault IG any more. This
one version is the one for the WD/CJ after we hammer it out. The Epic
41K version will be some what different.

> > Chain of command
> > Captain -> Lieutenants -> Heavy Weapons -> IG troopers -> Support
> > Weapons
> > Rattlings and Ogryns, as AbHumans, may not be in command.
>
> I think a trooper with a comlink should be commanding if all
> goes bad, not a heavy weapons team. Both men in it are probably busy,
> and I could see the Lieutenant surviving the destruction of his stand
> and joining a trooper stand happening.
>
> Captain -> Lieutenants -> IG troopers -> Heavy Weapons -> Support
> Weapons

There was a reason why I put the HW types ahead of the grunts, but it is
based on the "current" US Army (let me restate that, the US Army of the
1980, which was when I was in) practice. The Platoon Sergeant, as a
general rule, was left in charge of either the APC's (I.E. lead the
"Mounted section" or the platoon's weapon section. But given the flame
fest the my last set of posting about the real military, I did not
include that little bit of explanation, as I though it would be, well a
bit like pushing the button again.

I did even think that the CoC should be
Cpt. -> Lt. -> Spt. Weapons -> HW -> grunts

But that is just to far from how GW does it to even think about flying.

Let me look over Codex: IG and the R/T era IG list.

FWIW in the R/T IG list the only mandatory troops was Lieutenants, not
Captains.

--
Sillyness is the last refuse of the doomed.  P. Opus