Re: [Epic] Rough Riders

From: Alun Gallie <gallie_at_...>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 09:00:42 +0930

><rant>
>Some people have been talking that the "Large Rough Riders Detachments" are
why
>the +50 points _SHOULD_ be in place for IG detachments. To which I reply
"What
>are you on?" Lets look at "By the Book" Imperial forces.
>
>1) a maxed out RR detachment
>3 command RR _at_ 36 pts each total of 108 pts
>9 grunt RR _at_ 10 pts total of 90 pts
>9 Hell hounds _at_ 12 pts total of 108 pts
>Detachment total 306 pts
>
>2) SM Bikers (12 bikers, 9 Vindicators)
>HQ +25 pts
>8 squads _at_ 1 bike each (80 pts)
>1 squad _at_ 3 bikes (30 pts)
>9 Vindicators (198 pts)
>Detachment total 333 points
>
>Ok, the IG is more or less cheaper, but not that much cheaper.
>
>Now if we take the close support tanks out of the loop we get:
>1) a maxed out RR detachment
>3 command RR _at_ 36 pts each total of 108 pts
>9 grunt RR _at_ 10 pts total of 90 pts
>Detachment total 198 pts
>
>2) SM Bikers (12 bikers, 9 Vindicators)
>HQ +25 pts
>4 squads _at_ 3 bike each (30 pts) (120 pts total)
>145 points
>
>The stats line for SM bikers is:
>35 cm 15 cm 1 2 4+
>The stats for RR is (after adjustments for Cav and Assault)
>20 cm 15 cm 1 2 4+
>
>This means that in the case of scouting units for the Imperial forces, the
better
>detachment (SM Bikes) is cheaper. The only way that the SM can cost more
is if
>they add in the Captain and Librarian, which brings it up to a whopping 205
pts.
>This is why, in many of the list opinion why we need a "Project Guard".

Firstly I am not against the concept of the project Gaurd but I don't think
this is a good example to be quoteing.
1) As they stand legally the RR det. is 27 pts cheaper, without the HQ
points it would be 77pts cheaper.
2) You state the SM bikes are superior but the only stat they beat the RR's
in is movement and that advantage will be largly negated by the need to keep
the unit within support range of the Vindicators.
I was also going to say the RRs can have three psykers to the marines one
but have just rechecked the book and note that its states ( If you take Roug
h Riders this is the only extra choice you can take ) Now that seems weird,
what Pyskers and Captains can't ride horses ?
Any how in this particular instance I feel the units are balanced as is and
the RR unit would be too cheap IN COMPARISON to the SM unit with out the
command points.
I can accept the concept of the grunts (IG) being more command heavy (look
at real life Reserves and Territorials, I don't know about the US but over
hear they have more officers than privates, it seems <exageration>)
The troops are greener, and need a tighter hand on the reins so to speak.
What I object to is paying the points and not getting anything for it. It
should at least increase a units out of command radius or something.
Anyhow just my 5c worth, for the record I don't have a Imp. Gaurd army, but
am currently building a Tech Gaurd regiment. The lists I have for tech gaurd
(out of CJ I think ) are quite good, real mechanised infantry and no command
extra points (25 per det. as normal)
Perhaps these lists might be worth having a look at Mike.

Cheers
Alun
PS. I conceed, I have just read a couple more posts after typing this up and
see exactly where Project Gaurd is coming from, but I'll post this for
postereity anyway. ( otherwise I would have wasted all that time typing)