Re: [Epic] Infiltrators

From: C.Sinclair <csi_at_...>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 10:39:09 +0000

If I'm not mistaken we've already thrashed out this infiltrator thing on the
list and the consensus was that infiltrating from vehicles and pods was
downright disgusting, but still allowed by the rules anyway (there may even
have been a (Q&A). Admittedly I would allow infiltration from drop pods
(though not the rules lawyering of vehicle mounted infiltration.
As to using infiltrators, well....
In Imperial forces I would place them in a seperate detachment whose purpose
is to draw out the enemy and, if necessary, sacrifice themselves gloriously
in the name of their Emperor (or possibly just for outflanking, though there
are better units for doing this).
In an Eldar force I would (and have) placed them with Jetbikes as a recce
detachment. The Scouts can hold down objectives and such like while the
Jetbikes hunt down opposing infiltrators (infiltration, remember, also gives
a 60 cm command radius rather than 30 cm). This detachment has also been
used to pin and outflank enemy forces. NB that the tactical plan has to
come into effect within the first couple of turns or the Scouts just slow
down the bikes.
For Tyranids, the problem is a little more difficult. Placing all your
Lictors in one Swarm is not partcularly sound or prudent, though it may work
(don't quote me). And of course the Tyranids don't have bikes, jet or
otherwise. If you finally decide to use the infiltrate from drop pods
approach, or in a battle where you can assault the enemy before he can
firefight you then the Lictors would make excellent shock troops.
Assaulting the enemy with a couple of Lictor broods in advance of the main
Swarm would soften him up considerably. Of course you have to be able to
assault before the enemy can firefight so you would have to be extremely
careful about your timing. Dropping from mycetic spores though should
result in devastation in the enemy rear.
At 09:50 AM 1/19/98 -0000, you wrote:
>When reading through a recent WD , I found that if you put infiltrators into
>drop pods you are then allowed to use thier Infiltrate ability to get an
>extra move once they are placed!! Up until now we had been only allowing
>this extra move if they started on the board. Which is best?
>
>I would also like any suggestions on using Infiltrators. It has been an
>unmitigated failure each time I have used them . I play Tyranids with
>Lictors at the front a large detachment. When used like this my opponent
>either charges them with a smaller detachment or beats them in a firefight.
>Once this happens the whole detachment has to retreat even if they where
>20cm away and only one Lictor was engaged.

Cheers,
Colin

******************************
Colin Sinclair