Re: [Epic] Hills?

From: Thane Morgan <thane_at_...>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 22:40:12 -0700

Sauron Moridor wrote:

> Sauron1 writes;
>
> I have seen the new woodland scenic plastic trees and find they are a
> good value. I bought two bags of the smallest and will be making a pile of
> trees when I get the time { I have said that before to about a million
> projects } Do the limbs break and the foliage stick OK? If anyone has had
> success with them please post!
>
> For roads and rivers I find coloured felt is the best, and felt bases
> wooded areas prevent in/out "errors"
>
> sauron1_at_...

I've used these trees, and they're an absolute pain to get together and
maintain. For some ungoddly reason, they crumbled the foam that comes
with the basic set (any additional foam comes in blocks). I've tried
elmers, hob-e-tac, crazy, maxicure and spray glue on these trunks, and
none of them could hold the crumbled foam to the trees if the forest was
handled or transported in any way. Even spraying with hairspray or
varnish didn't work; in fact, sometimes the glue would redissolve and
the tree would shed its leaves on the spot. The only success I had was
buying a new bag of foam (in a block), tearing thin strips from the
block which could be wrapped around the trees and glued in place with
crazy glue. I recommend the conifers over the deciduous variety, as it
is easier to wrap the trunks.

The same company sells premade trees, which seem to hold onto their
foliage OK. Maybe calling the company would provide insight on the best
glue to use.

I have a suspicion that rubber cement will work fairly well, you may
want to try that first.

The trees frequently will break off of their bases; I would not make the
terrain planning to remove the trees during storage. Just glue them well
into place the first time you insert them. I've never seen a branch or
trunk break.

Bottom line: these work fine for static train displays, but I don't
think the company had the rough hands of wargamers in mind when they
made these.

By the way, I'm sending out some pictures from the high desert. I can't
find my best El Malpais pictures, or my extra Acoma postcards, but I
think I'll be driving out that way by the end of the month, so I'll try
to sen them out later.

Thane