Re: [Epic] Detachment sizes

From: Thane Morgan <thane_at_...>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 22:13:17 -0700

L. Brian Hayes wrote:

> Just a question on some strategy...
> Is it better to have larger detachments where you can get a high firepower
> when it's time to shot or is it better to use smaller detachments so the
> enemy has to distribute it's firepower(blast markers) between several
> detachments?
> I have one detachment that I've become pretty fond of because it causes so
> much pain to my enemies. It has 10 LR's (1 is the commander) and 5
> Vindicators for soak up. I usually try to maneuver this det into a position
> where I can set them in overwatch and just decimate a enemy detachment.
> Blast markers sometimes make this det not as good as I'd like it to be.
> I'm basically wondering what is everyone's thoughts on this.
>
> "The Riverman" aka. L. Brian Hayes
> haysbo_at_"nospam"net-serv.com
> "What? The rivers up. Sure, I'll run it!"
> "Have Canoe, Will Travel"
> To Reply take out the "nospam"
> I've tried the large LR Detats before; in a really big game it wont hurt
you, but at the 3000 point level you might want to divide the unit up to
get more flexibility.

To reduce the effects of blastmarkers on LR detats, throw some predators
in the mix. They have the same range as LR's, so you can apply any blast
marker effects to the predator's fp instead of valuable AT shots.

You may want to ditch the Vindicators for some infantry. They are
somewhat easier to kill, but they're better for cheaply soaking up hits
and on overwatch can add quite a bit of firepower. I usually have one
stand of tac infantry for each tank. They are also better than
vindicators in when defending an assault, especially if you play your
vindicators in the front.

Thane