Re: [Epic] Q on Points SM bike sqds)

From: Andy Skinner <askinner_at_...>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 09:25:55 -0500

John Brisson wrote:

> It mentions in the Armies book that a Space Marine bike unit/squad gets 10
> points per but I'm still a little confuesed about the calculation on that.
> Is this 10 points per bike on a stand...or 10 points per a stand of bikes
> (1 - 3 units?). Please help clear this up for me as soon as possible. I
> have the Space Marine Battle Group box that came with 4 bikes, I mounted 3
> on a stand and was left with an extra, can that extra run as a 10 point unit
> on it's own..and is the other unit counted as 30..or are they both 10
> points?

I think bikes would look better just set out individually. But the
problem
is that they are not assumed to have enough firepower to get an integer
firepower rating individually, and the stats for a stand of bikes (one
unit
is one stand, not one bike) is a result of having three of them. And
they'd
start to get fiddly, though not much more than all those little-bitty
warbuggies
I've got. Most of the infantry sprues seem to have bikes in multiples
of threes,
but if the Space Marines give you four, you've got an extra.

I'd consider mounting them two to a (same-size) stand and give them the
same stats.
That would reduce how many you'll have to get to make a decent sized
bike force.
I'd let you put one bike on a base for a while, though I think I'd
rather you
preserve the base size, so you don't change the ratio of firepower to
area. Of
course, that also changes barrage targets to area, so might balance out.

I've got enough bikes that I think I'll go ahead and base them 3 to a
stand.

andy

--
Andy Skinner