Re: [Epic] Cheddar & Edam

From: Scott Shupe <shupes_at_...>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 10:02:05 -0500

Matthew Sprange wrote:

> A quick thought related to other postings.
>
> I have been reading the WH40K list lately and it seems they are obsessed
> with cheese, constructing all kinds of horrendous armies. Now it has been
> said that Epic 40k can not have this problem as no one model can dominate
> the battlefield, but has anyone looked into this? Are there cheesy
> combinations around? I know well that certain armies have a problem with
> certain things (as it should be), but are there any killer detachments out
> there?

        Epic is less cheesy than WH40k, but it's certainly not a
perfect system. The point system tends to work only if both sides
take 'balanced' armies - neither army loads out on one super-good
unit (like Land Raiders for Space Marines, artillery for IG, Disrupt
weapons for Eldar, Chaos and 'Nids). Part of the problem here is
that some of these super-good units are severely underpriced (most
notably, Land Raiders and Disrupt arty, IMHO).

        There are some bad combinations as well. The ever-present
example is fast attack troops (like Swooping Hawks) in one detachment
and another detachment of transports. Since they're 2 different
detachments, you can give the transports March orders (x3 move) and
still put the attack troops on Assault. You can move the infantry
90-100cm in one turn this way. Nasty.

Scott Shupe
shupes_at_... shupes@... http://www.rpi.edu/~shupes
"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun." - Army of Darkness