Re: [Epic] Q&A suggestion: (was] Cheddar & Edam)

From: Scott Shupe <shupes_at_...>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 14:42:37 -0500

Miller, Chris wrote:

[transports in seperate marching detachment]

> --------> I think we could almost all agree that this is rules-lawyering
> bigtime, but the problem is that by the letter of the rules it's legal.
> All it would take to fix it is a statement like "a unit leaving a
> transport has movement remaining which is proprotional to the amount of
> movement used by the transport. Example: If you move the transport half
> of its move #, troops inside can move a max of half their movement
> allowed by their orders, even in the assault phase." Ok, that's a little
> cumbersome to explain, but anyone who's played SM/TL knows what I'm
> trying to say. That way, even if the transports are on march, the
> assault troops aren't gaining this sudden movement burst.

        Yeah, the old SM/TL transport rules were much better and
more intuitive than the E40k rules... but adopting the TL rules
wholesale doesn't completely fix the problem since there are 2
movement phases in E40k, not just 1. To use the Swooping Hawk
example: (I'm not sure how fast falcons are, I'm assuming 20cm
here)

E40k transport rules:

(60cm - 5cm (transport on march, disembarking troops)) +
(30cm - 5cm (Hawks in movement phase, disembarking)) +
(45cm (Hawks charging into CC in assault phase)) = 125cm total.

Proportional movement:

(58cm (transport on march, 1/30th of movement left over)) +
(1cm (Hawks disembarking)) + (45cm (Hawks charging)) = 104cm total

        Not a whole lot of difference.

        I guess the solution to that is to carry over the
percentage of movement left to the disembarking unit into the
assault phase... i.e. in the example above, the Hawks have 1/30th
of their movement left in the movement phase, so they would only
be able to use 1/30th of their movement in the assault phase.
But now things are getting kinda complicated, especially since
infantry has a variable movement in the assault phase (depending
on whether a stand can get into CC or not), as well as a minimum
movement requirement (the 5cm thing).

Scott Shupe
shupes_at_... shupes@... http://www.rpi.edu/~shupes
"The day will not save them. And we own the the night." - Warmaster
Horus