Re: [Epic] Net Epic - Close combat morale

From: Jason Robinson <ewing_at_...>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 18:57:11 +0200 (EET)

> On Wed, 12 Feb 1997, nethol wrote:
> > > I suggest implementing the 1st edition rule of losing close combat.
> > > "Any detachment that loses more melees than it wins during a turn
> > > must take a morale test in the end phase of the turn." Reasonable?
> > > It would work better of course if we had saving throws for infantry
> > > as 1st edition had..
> > Again, this would make the game like Warhammer. Don't we already have
> > enough moral checks? The guys would hardly find time to shoot from
> > contemplating if they should run or not. Too many checks makes the game a
> > war of chickens. The above suggestion *is* reasonable, as in "realistic",
> > however makes the game weaker. We should, of course, seek to imitate
> > reality in the tactical issues, but shouldn't forget that we are designing
> > a game (and aiming it to be playable), rathet than a simulation.

 Well, I agree the line has to be drawn somewhere, but there are some
 things that will add more to the game even if they slow it down a little.
 I have always disliked that after a great CC between several detachments,
 the guys that were almost wiped out still decide to keep on fighting the
 next turn against hopeless odds. Of course, if the unit breaks, they
 will have to take a morale check anyway. But if the almost wiped out
 detachment is from a company, I think the detachment should take its
 own morale check to see if the surviving guys in the detachment want
 to keep fighting.
 Only one morale check should apply, so if a detachment loses CC and
 breaks, they will only take one morale check.

 Opinions? How about the original 1st ed. system I proposed with the
 above clarification?

        - Jason