Re: [Epic] Tyranid help needed

From: Richard Bright <r.bright_at_...>
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 1998 09:26:59 +1300

At 11:46 AM 2/1/98 -0800, Tim wrote:
>I've decided that I am gonna starta Tyranid army. I have bought 4 boxes of
>plastics and a blister of Hive Tyrants and a Dominatrix. What else should I
>be getting to make a well rounded army?

Hi Tim,
I am loathe to act as pitchman for GW, but essentially you want a bit of
everything! Certainly grab some assualt spawn (but don't go overboard as
mycetic spores get your troops into combat quickly enough), some
zoanthropes (cos psychers are invaluable), and some carnifexes (cos they're
neat to paint). Exocrines are useful if you want some ranged AT (but I
think they're an option which you can do without initially) and biovores
are handy against nippy opponents such as Eldar. If you're fighting a nice
stodgy IG army you can probably get away without arty and concentrate on
troops which will eat him in CC.

My suggestion (cash allowing) is that you start with one blister each of
zoanthropes, carnifexes and biovores, with perhaps a couple of blisters of
assault spawn. Try a few games and work out the tactics you want to develop
before you pay more money to the evil empire.

A painting tip (which may or may not get howled down by our fellow
subscribers) is to paint all your metal in the same base colour before
adding all the scaly spikey bits. With Tyrannids its really easy to get a
messy looking army and a common base colour gives a unified look to the swarm.

Good luck.
Richard

"The important lesson is that you can get what
you want and still not be very happy"
                        Pope Cerebus

Get inside the mind of Richard Bright at:
http://www.geocities.com/timessquare/alley/2405