Re: [Epic] Hello all!

From: Aaron <akkala_at_...>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 1998 09:18:46 -0600

> Question: Does any one use 2nd world war tactics in their games or
> similar??

WWII was different from EPIC combat in a couple of important ways ...

1. Time - Most battle took a really long time because when actual people
are getting shot at, they tend to stop running and hide (I know I
would). My little IG soldiers are inhumanly brave. Because of this, most
REAL battle tended to be run, get shot at, hide, wait, run some more,
get shot at again, etc. This went on until one side had had enough and
ran. If a company of infantry took 35% casualties, that was an
incredible amount, whereas my IG soldier are routinely reduced to half
strength in a few turns of combat.

2. Variety - All the participants had basically the same troops types.
Assault troops were extremely rare and only used when the terrain called
for it (cities, jungles etc). Of all the participants, only the Japanese
could be said to have 'prefered' close combat, and even they only
occasionally used a "Banzai" charge and usually only when they were
desperate.

That being said, an army (especially IG or Ork) could be designed to
excecute a classic Blitzkrieg attack. This sort of attack would be as
follows ...

  Infantry and artillery attack a weak portion of the enemy line,
hopefully breaking them.

  Tanks and mounted infantry march move through the enemy line and into
the rear areas.

  Aircraft attack enemy reserves, preventing them from sealing the hole
in the front line.

  The tanks and mounted infantry kill all the juicy expensive enemy
units while the assaulting infantry tie up their main forces.

Unfortunately, because of the nature of the "Battle" scenarios provided
in the game, The situations required to play a game like the one above
rarely occur.

                                             -- Aaron