Re: Squat Army WAS Re: [Epic] Knights(Lil' bit off topic)

From: Aaron P Teske <Mithramuse+_at_...>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 1998 11:27:24 -0500 (EST)

Excerpts from Epic: 4-Feb-98 Squat Army WAS Re: [Epic] K.. by "Sean A.
Upchurch"_at_alumn
> Umm, 'cause everyone's complaining. It also helps with the variety and
> keeps the army from being a bit stale. Sure you'll win every time if you
> always have solid lines of Overlords backed by Goliaths, but where did the
> fun go?
[snip]
> As someone who has built the EPIC group from myself and 2 buddies to a height
> of 9 and am currently watching it dwindle down to probably 2 [we have 5 now
> -- one never shows, one will graduate, one is the Squat] I'm passing this
> along as a warning/caution. It is *very* easy for the Squat player to get
> bored and move on to other things. Partly, it the fault of their restrictive
> lists [in both games] and partly it's the fault of arty heavy armies since
> they work best when holding ground and rolling dice as much and as fast as
> possible.

All in all, this story makes me very glad that, when I was playing more,
I always took at least one infantry company, sometimes two. (And once
three, come to think of it.) Similarly, once I got the Termites painted
up, I usually fielded them, and they actually did all right... well,
pretty much. Still, I tried to field a mixed force instead of
concentrating on heavy arty and the Guild Bikers, despite what people
kept telling me to do. And, in spite of a 50/50 record, it was a heck
of a lot of fun, in all cases.

So, basically, I'm encouraging people -- not just Squats -- to get out &
try the lesser-used units in your army lists. When I mentioned to
people that I used Termites, they tended to laugh, or look at me like I
was crazy. Still, they're a lot of fun, and even if they don't always
show up where you want them to they can still be pretty effective -- not
to mention what can happen if they *do* show up where you want them to.
(I seem to recall my Termites and Berserkers chasing after Andy
Skinner's Whirlwinds in one battle... we came up from behind 'em, and
the next turn they ran away, preventing him from firing at me. Good
stuff! ^_^ )

So, there 'tis.

                    Aaron Teske
                    Mithramuse+_at_...