RE: [Epic] 1000 pt Space Marine Army For Review - Thanks Chris!

From: Miller, Chris <CMiller_at_...>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 1998 12:45:18 -0600

> >> Force Nygren (253 pts)
> >>
> >> 1 x Captain w/Jump Pack
> >> 1 x Librarian w/Jump Pack
> >> 2 x Assault Squad (2 units ea) w/Jump Pack
> >> 4 x Land Speeder
> >> 2 x Bike Squad (1 unit ea)
> >>

> The problem with this detachment , in my view, is that you are
> combining
> units with different functions and speed. I would have pure bike
> detachment
> myself, much better nipping round the enemies flanks. Landspeeders

----------> Is a detachment of 4 speeders and 2 bikes really worth
fielding on it's own, though? Before you split this force I'd get more
bikes and maybe mix in some attack bikes. If you keep them together
some rhino-based infantry might be a nice add as well.

> >> Force Bjornsen (337 pts)
> >>
> >> 1 x Captain w/Rhino
> >> 2 x Devastator Squad (2 units ea) w/Rhino
> >> 2 x Terminator Squad (1 unit ea) w/Land Raider
> >> 3 x Whirlwind
> I am not keen on the above detachment. I would have a pure devastor
> detachment in rhinos, without the captain. This way the rhinos aren't
> slowed down by the speed of the landraiders. This allows you devastors
> move 25cm dismount and fire. That means you can hit an enemy within
> 55cm of
> devastors. If the enemy attempts to assault you devastors they can hop
> in
> the rhinos, move back 25cm and still get full fire power. I would have
> the
> terminators and land raiders has separate detachment. The only time
> the
> fire and move tactic is when you are facing eldar jump troops, that
> can
> move 45cm in the assault phase.
--------> Well, remember you don't have real tight formation issues, so
a 5 cm speed difference isn't huge. If this is a "seize and sit"
detachment it will work fine as it is. To split the termies off you
would need to add them to another group as a 4 unit detach is going to
die quick for easy points.

> >> Force Olafsen (397 pts)
> >>
> >> 1 x Librarian w/Rhino
> >> 4 x Tactical Squad (2 units ea) w/Rhino
> >> 4 x Land Raider
> >> 2 x Scout Squad (1 unit ea)
> >>
> >> Total: 987 pts
> >>

> I don't see the point having the scouts, they just slow the rest of
> the
> detachment down.

-------> The scouts have that infiltration move, so they can be ahead to
start with. This might also be a "seize and sit" force, in which case
it works fine. Also, the scouts can ride in the land raiders if they
need a lift so I don't think they're going to slow it down too much...

> Overall comments.
>
> It would been much more helpful if you could have let me know the type
> of
> oppent you intended to use this army against. The main problem is the
> combining of troop types with different speeds and functions in the
> same
> detachment. I find that reasonably 'pure' detachment work best with
> space-marines.

-------> Well some of us like to select a force and keep it together
regardless of opponent, so maybe he's doing that. I try to keep speeds
similar as much as possible myself. You basically have to figure out
each detachment's job and then give it the appropriate units to do the
job, and given some figure and point constraints I think this is a
decent start.
         The last force is kind of a mix, and if it's going to be an
attack force I would lose the LR's and get Predators and maybe
Vindicators for cracking those stubborn points, but I believe he's using
the units from the box only, so that may not be much help.
        I usually have a force or two made to seize and keep an
objective (park & shoot) and it may include a few assault troops or
durable troops like captains, termies, etc along with devs and
artillery. I like to use dreads in these units also as their speed
doesn't get in the way, but the decent fp and assault value comes in
handy. After getting where they need to be, the tough guys are
bodyguards to stop everyone _else's_ roaming bikes and cav. I also keep
one of these - "Kaptain Karnov's Blood Angel Bikers" which is all
regular bikes (about 6-9 stands, with Biker Sergeant figures every other
stand) 3 speeders, Captain on bike, psyker on bike. Their purpose is
just to raise hell wherever they can. They also have a 35cm reserve
speed making them handy in those "roll to see who comes on when"
scenarios.
        Specialization works, just don't overdo it.
- Decide what the primary consideration for the unit is:

- is speed the big thing (like my bikers above)?

-Is long range firepower the focus( and is fp or special weapons the
focus)?

-Is assault value the main consideration (and if so how will they do in
a subsequent firefight)?

-Are they going to move every turn or just the first one or two
turns(may not need rhinos for everyone - let them ride in that other
force's Land Raiders)?

-How likely is it they will be in HTH ( may not need that psyker)?

-Make up two units which complement each other and keep them
together(infantry tend to have better assault values, tanks have better
fp)

-Decide how many dice you want to roll when in range (by looking at the
firepower table and knowing the fp of your units) and build a unit to do
that, adding in a few units extra to account for blast markers. (Don;t
go by "how many stands do I have" so much as "will one more stand matter
here or do I start another force?" Put in enough to do the job then
build another)

-Are they going to go get the enemy or is the enemy going to come get
them (attack force or park & shoot)?

There are a whole bunch of valid ways to build a force, but the main
thing is to have a plan in mind when you build it. A few games will
refine your units rather quickly. If you plan to build a "permanent"
force, play a few times before you paint it, settle on what works best,
_then_ paint it.

Chris Miller