Re: [Epic] Net Epic

From: Spatula <shupes_at_...>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 17:12:18 -0500

> From: Michael the Liu <mikethel_at_...>
>
> >Another thing worth mentioning was that in these older rules you could
> >not fire into close combat(regardless of pinning), any opinions on what
> >is prefered?
>
> I prefer the ability to shoot into combat, but skimmers should be allowed to
> voluntarily allow themselves to be pinned. They're only hovering a few feet
> above the ground usually, and I see no reason to make Eldar bikes worse than
> those of everybody else (MHO).

        Well, thery're no worse than land speeders in that respect.
But speaking as someone who argued against the TL 'shooting at skimmers
in CC' rule, I certainly wouldn't mind seeing it go. Shooting into
combat should be determined by size class only.

> Also, I suggest adding the ability to barrage your own units if you want to.
> It has always bothered me that you're not allowed to even when its
> tactically useless.

        WD Q&As (once again), chaos & orks are allowed to kill their
own guys if they get in the way. presumably this would stand for
tyranids as well, if anyone doesn't care about the lives of their
fellows its the bugs.

> Chaos wouldn't care, they're just returning to their
> immortal selves in the warp. Imperials wouldn't care, as the greater good
> is all that matters and everyone is just a servant of the Emperor/Machine
> God.

        Not according to GW's current interpretation of the Guard.
While Inquisitors certainly wouldn't care, the regular guardsmen
certainly do, and they're the ones that operate the artillery.

> Orks certainly don't care, because they're Orks, with the same for
> Tyranids. And Squats and Eldar could probably be explained by the fact that
> they're not stupid.

        Eldar & Squats are 'good'. And good is stupid. (but they
don't always lose)

        Eldar would never willingly fire upon one another. Squats
I don't know about, but it seems unlikely.

> If barraging a losing battle of CC means the difference
> between killing a detachment of your own men, and losing your entire army, I
> think the choice is clear.

        To the general, sure. The grunts being fired upon and the
gunners shooting at their friends might see things differently.

Scott
shipes_at_...