RE: [Epic] War Engine BM suggestion

From: Miller, Chris <CMiller_at_...>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 17:04:49 -0600

> OK, I think I've got a good formula here: (DC/4)+1.
> That scales back the numbers considerably while still giving a
> 'toughness' rating of 2 to the smallest WEs. Here's the line
> up, small to large:
>
> --------> This is a _lot_ more reasonable as far as numbers, mostly
>
> > Imperator : 7
> > Mega Gargant : 7
> Looks much more reasonable to be, although the '7'
> for Imps and Megas might be a bit extreme.... Hmmm, I'll
> have to playtest this the next time I play (whenever the
> heck that might be).
>
> the problem
> is that FP-based weaponry on WEs becomes much stronger
> than it was previously. I guess the solution to that is
> to keep your troops out of FP-range for the enemy's WEs...
> which would generally be a good idea anyway.

--------> Yowch, this could be a real pain when you combine the 2 above
thoughts - that mega gargant has 24 fp in it's gun decks which can
shield it pretty well, and then you add 7 free BM's...
I like this idea as an alternative to mine and the current system, but
any kind of consistent stat-based relationship for these things seems
like it breaks when you hit these 2 big 'uns. Maybe forcing people to
allocate a special weapon to it before subtracting fp would balance
things ( that is, once you take "x" markers (your free hits) you have to
allocate all of your specials before you start marking fp), though I can
see problems here also.

Chris Miller