RE: Squat Army WAS Re: [Epic] Knights(Lil' bit off topic)

From: Miller, Chris <CMiller_at_...>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 1998 15:56:18 -0600

> So you churn out a number of IG squads vs a few Space Marines squads.
> don't see where this ten years of training and preparation is paying
> off. The Marines have nice vehilces and weaposn, and good commanders,
> but I'm just looking at relative effectiveness on a squad by squad
> basis. Interesting. Of course any really detailed or close look at the
> 40k universe always leads to some unraveling of logic.
>
> Los

--------> With marines it gets really ridiculous if you try to stay with
the 1000 marines per chapter limit. If that's the case, you have large
percentages of the chapter being waxed in every game. Per fluff, I'd say
they survive wounds better than IG with extra organs and various special
abilities, so a "kill" on a marine stand is less damaging long term than
a "kill" on an IG stand, but even then it's a stretch. If you go to a
close combat, the marines are the equal of 3 guardsmen, but even that's
a little slim given the background.
   The Eldar are supposed to be a dwindling race, yet guardians form the
majority of their troop types and they aren't really better than a
guardsman.
   Orks, Chaos and nids work pretty well as "infinte hordes" etc, and
given the fluff, you'd expect most of the battles in the galaxy to be
between these races and the IG. I rationalize it by saying we play the
"exciting" or "pivotal" battles where the elites are present, rather
than the thousands of "boring" battles where it's nothing but massed
grunts slugging it out.

Chris Miller