Re: [Epic] Uncheesy detachments

From: Alan E & Carmel J Brain <aebrain_at_...>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 19:17:09 +1000

Dirk Vormann wrote:

> > T-hawks were always great, but no one here overkilled them
> > as I think 3 on a side was the most we saw - still enough to move a lot
> > of marines, but not insane.
> Fielding a complete chapter required 20+ T-hawks to use the marines
> effectively. I saw them on one tabletop but I still do not consider such
> behaviour cheesy.

I'm the only one I know with 20 THs, and I only ever used them against
Cheese armies, never against reasonable ones. Except once, as a demo of
its cheese factor, in a PBEM on this list.

The last time I used them was against a guy who had 6 IG companies, each
with 5 cards (ie 15 per company) of Deathstrikes. That's about 200
barrages hitting on a 4+ on average, and another 10 or so Vortex
missiles to take out the hard stuff. As they were "self-targetting" they
could go after Command Units when no other weapon could, even hit
invisible stuff in woods.

Of course, I had only Demons on the table, far back, and my THs landed
and CCd his Deathstrikes. The GDs then followed up, breaking the Morale
of the IG befor any significant casualties on either side were incurred.

Boring really, but this guy had been a pain to other players. No, I
didn't enjoy the game. It did stop him from being a Cheese Whizz artist
though, and and he was basically a very good player, I had some quite
enjoyable games after he had recovered from his affliction.
Including one where both sides arrived solely via Drop Pods/Mycetic
Spores... but I digress.

--
 abrain_at_...  o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo     oo