Re: [Epic] SM Chaos - wasUncheesy detachments

From: Thane Morgan <thane_at_...>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 18:12:37 -0700

Scott Shupe wrote:

> > > That and burnng bodies which forced me to spread out (and risk
> > > being
> > > ganged up on) or stick together and lose a bunch of guys at once. And
> > > you
> > > never knew if it was there or not......
> >
> > -------> Ya know, I think I , um, lost that particular card...
> > ("of _course_ we're using my deck...")
>
> Never understood why people fear this card so much...
> Even if the Chaos player does get it (big if), there's only
> a 1 in 6 chance of the forest/building being torched. The
> 'halve enemy CAFs within 2D6cm' cards are a heck of a lot
> nastier IMHO.
> Plus, you had to start the fire with one of your own minis. Hell, if
they let chaos troops into the same building or woods as their own
troops, they were probably losing them anyway.

> > --------> I can certainly see one use for Minotaurs at this point:
> > Bodyguards for the Tarantula Company...
>
> Squats are better if you're playing against Eldar;
> the Mins are useless if you move first (no countercharge),
> while the chaos squat's heavy bolters can rain death on any
> jetbikes foolish enough to engage your stationary guns.
>
> > Titans, of course are best met with other titans, and a Psycannon
> > was hell on titans, especially if you had a friendly pulsar to knock
> > down the shields.
>
> I thought psycannons ignored shields? There's
> certainly something to that effect in the description.
>
> > As for Chaos marines, they were good, but they were still 50cm
> > range like most other infantry, and against them the save mod didn't
> > matter, and you still had to pay extra for the transport.
>
> Which you could leave at home if you wished, an
> option not available to boring... er I mean loyal marines.
> Plus you could play cards on them...

I still really like the chaos marines, they had a better to hit and a
modifier, plus had big cajones. Then you got the special cards, which
were always fun.

> > -------> Even considering the plague, I always hated the vortex thing
> > the most. Probably because my regular opponent painted his up as
> > Thousand Sons, but even on paper it's just nastier somehow.
>
> Nurgle's Rot is definitely worse than the Tzeentch
> reward, which is really only useful if (1) your opponent has
> some high-priced models in his army and (2) you can get close
> enough to throw the vortex. And even then, there's a good
> change the dang thing doesn't even hit. Meanwhile, a lone
> death guard stand can wipe out gobs of enemy troops and light
> vehicles with no problem.
>
> > Silly me, I started Chaos pretty early on in Space Marine and made
> > mine World Eaters
>
> At least you didn't make them Emporer's Children...
>
> > > Never saw any of the demon engines with the exception of doom
> > > wings.
> >
> > I used the Khorne, and Scott has debated their +'s & -'s with me before.
> > My friend liked the tzeentch. He got the nurgles toward the end, but we
> > used them very little.
>
> Contagions are useless. Period.

They look to be pretty efective in the new game. I unfortunately never
bought any (because they sucked so bad) so I haven't had a chance to try
them.

> > All that tower was was a very slow unshielded
> > target for psychic attacks.
>
> Which doesn't mean much if your opponent doesn't have
> any... Plague Towers are good against everyone but Eldar and
> Nids.

I used one, but always found it a waste of points. All of its weapons
were short ranged and largely inefective; it didn't even get the LOB's
command unit bonus.

> >Never saw the Slaanesh stuff, but it looked
> > too gofy for me anyway. One of the titans was OK, but the knights just
> > looked thrown together to me.

I loved the slannesh titans. They looked very Jules Vernish to me. I
used Hell knights and subjugators to great effect.

> I think they look OK, but I still haven't painted mine
> and really have no conception of what I want to do with them.
> I tend to stay away from them in games because they're so
> pricey and they look so fragile... that piss-poor CAF just
> screams out, "Bike me!"
>
> > > Sigh - that was long winded.
> >
> > -------> Now it's longer...
>
> Longer still...