Re: [Epic] Second tactical Hint for the Day

From: Aaron <akkala_at_...>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 08:33:35 -0600

Sean Robert Smith wrote:

> I have what I believe is the best IG infantry detachment. It consists of
> normal IG, with the purchase of the upgrade to commissars, with 1 support
> weapon battery (3 support weapons in each battery) brought as support for
> each IG squad. The advantage of this detachment are:
>
> - the commissars increase the survivability of the unit (against hits
> which roll 4+),
> -If the commissars are placed in the front rank and all the other units in the
> detachment are used as supports a three squad detachment as an assault value
> of 19. The same detachment with hellhounds or ogryns would have an assault
> of 19, but would not have the 9 anti tank shoots of the support
> weapons,
> - The detachment has 16 units in it, so it gets +1 on its morale rolls,
> - The detachment has 9 anti-tank shoots with a range of 45cm.
>
> This detachment combined with IG artillery mean that any opposition is
> going face a very hard time. The only real problem is its speed, but IG are
> best at slow rumbling attacks. Also the enemy of IG cannot afford to sit
> back, otherwise they be pounded by IG artillery.

 I put my support weapons with HW IG troops behind my normal Guardsmen
(I use WWII 1/285 GHQ minis for SW). Also, because of the unexplainable
high cost of IG Command squad, I put all Guardsmen in Chimera and, when
the fighting starts, stick them behind the trooper. Hellhounds YES -
Griffons NO.

It seems that once my opponents sees my 4 Basalisks he spreads his guys
out so I rarely get more than 2 units under any template. I find that
barrage/hvy barrage attacks aren't worth it.

                                                        -- Aaron