RE: [Epic] SM Chaos - wasUncheesy detachments

From: Miller, Chris <CMiller_at_...>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 12:11:37 -0600

> > > Nope. Nothing stops Wave Serpents... they were the biggest
> > >single source of arguments in my games:
> > >
> > >"I move my 75 point WS into your untouched 900 point titan, so now
> > >it can't move or shoot for the rest of the turn."
> > >
> > >"You can't move a titan with that little thing!"
> > >
> > >"Doesn't say anything about titans in the rules!"
> > >
> > ><rules reading and heated arguments follow>
> >
> > As always, everthing you need is in the rule set...
> >
> > The warp wave is clearly "a psychic or warp based attack" and void
> shields
> > give a 50/50 save.
>
> I'm talking about the pre-TL era. Everything I needed was
> not in the rule sets. Even so, the shield save only applies to
> psychic attacks, not warp-based ones (not that GW even makes that
> distinction).
--------> And there's always the WarpWave vs GD's thing - does it
immobilize them, or does it kill them? Do we roll something? If it's a
psychic attack, seems like it should hurt them somehow, but there's no
die roll involved so they don't actually take a "hit". I steamrollered a
GUO like this and though the "you can't roll CC dice" rule meant he got
hammered by the scorps carried inside, it's not exactly clear.
    As for the shields, If the psychic save applies and succeeds does
the wave actually go down, or is it just blocked by the shields, or is
one/both of them pinned? There are other psychic saves besides shields -
do those prevent its effects vs that model only , and/or dispel the
wave, or not apply at all? (Inquisitor, Banelord, etc)

> > And of course if the warp wave fails while you are in contact with a
> titan
> > you are pinned and will want to have a lot of buddies in the CC
> segment...
>
> The wave is wider than the serpent itself; my friend's
> favorite tactic was to brush the wave up against one of the legs of
> my warlord titan.
--------> Yes, if the wave template goes away there's nothing touching
either unit - can they be pinned but not in base to base?

> Of course if it did get pinned, then the titan was pinned
> as well (this is pre-TL, remember), so the eldar player would have
> still nullified the titan or half the turn.
>
> > Personally I would have liked the GW rules boys to fix wave serpents
> with a
> > statement like "cannot affect models they cannot pin" or something
> sensible
> > like that, but instead the money grubbing toads gave us the E40K
> heresy
> > instead...
>
> I'd have liked for them to get rid of the damn things
> enitirely. =)
>
> Scott Shupe

-------> That last bit of course coming from a big chaos player : )
Like I've said before, a little more definition in interaction effects
would've helped, especially after they went to the trouble of adding the
void shield clarifications vs psychic effects in TL.

Chris Miller