Re: [Epic] Playing Too Much

From: Thane Morgan <thane_at_...>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 00:28:59 -0700

Sauron Moridor wrote:

> Sauron1 writes; Carl;
>
> Any whispers on Space Ship Battles game? Is it still a clone of Silent
> Death "Fighter vs Fighter"? Or moved back up to the Capital Ship level?
>
> sauron1_at_...

I've got the space ship battles game for you. I'm finishing the last
draft and copyrighting the rules; in about a month I'm going to post a
"shareware" version of it for anyone to try out. If they like it, they
can send for the full rules.

It's features are a completely generic force list, rules for building
your own ships from scratch, only one type of die to roll, no damn hex
maps, simple ship record sheets, works equally well for fighter
skirmishes and fleet battles with one minor rules change, has rules for
cool special devices typically found in todays sci-fi shows, and is
easily adaptable to campaign play on scales of invasion of one system to
full interstellar empires (though I don't think campaign rules will
be play tested for at least a half year; I make make suggestions for
players to fleh out on their own). Later I plan to introduce discrete
races with their own abilities, but that hasn't been a high prioriry.

The game has played very fast in play testing; we've played several
battles with 15-20 capital ships per side where each turn took less than
twenty minutes. Making your own ships is a lot like doing taxes, except
that once they're made, it's very easy to build fleets with them.

If your interested, let me know.

Thane