Re: [Epic] GW and this list.

From: Thane Morgan <thane_at_...>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 13:47:56 -0700

Carl Woodrow wrote:

> >It also makes good, cold and hard capitalistic sense; They've pissed off
> >nearly all of their veteran gamers by this point, so they don't want us
> >bitching and moaning (and warning new players) about how we were
> >screwed. Also, many of us have most of what we will ever need in the way
> >of miniatures, so they don't make as much money by catering to us unless
> .>they bring out a new, really appealing army (or ban all the old ones).
> >Finally, 10 - 16 year olds don't find the flaws in their games as
> >easily; their "brain trust" is effectively competing against minds they
> >can handle. Besides, at that age, having a tactically challenging game
> >is not nearly as much fun as laying waste to your opponent with a really
> >cheesed-out model.
>
> Wow!....and here was me thinking that it was a pleasant way to spend a Sunday afternoon. I didn't realise that GW were in fact such a cold calculating and corr
>
> We could form a coalition and organise ourselves, setting the goal of toppling this 'parasitic' capitalist company from it's position of preying on our young s
>
> Alternatively they could just be a company that makes miniatures and games.? Lets see....the second edition rules and supplements came out between 1992 and 199
>
> Sure...we would all love to be using the same rules and models for the whole of our adult gaming careers...or would we?. GW produce several model ranges and su
>
> It's a hobby...not a conspiracy!
>
> <rant off>
> Apologies to anyone on the list who would rather not have read this...I don't normally get this wound up, I just feel that sometimes we forget what it is we li
>
> Nuff said...I'll shut up now ;-)
>
> Carl
>
> Carl Woodrow - Gene-seed and Dropship Editor
>
> Gryphonne IV Gene-seed
> http://freespace.virgin.net/carl.woodrow/epic/

> Attachment 2 Type: application/ms-tnef
> Encoding: base64

Actually, that was very polite for a sarcastic rant.

Look, the company is run by businessmen, not gamers. It exists to serve its
stockholders, like most other corperations. While you did express your doubt that this
business could place its own gain over the loyalty of older customers, you actually said
nothing refuting any of the evidence I've presented to support my view.

Yes, new minis are fine. You don't have to re-make the rule to make new minis; if the
minis are that much better, people will buy them. Those other companies don't ban the
old products just because they made new ones; they don't stopping supporting the older
products either. You can still buy parts for you 1980 ford truck, you can still get new
drivers for your soundblaster 16. You can get updates for MS word 6.0.

Now it would be nice to think that GW's owners and staff have selflessly dedicated their
 lives and money to make the gaming world a better place, but most of us realize that no
corperations have the interests of the consumer first in mind; not even medical plans or
hospitals here in the states. Right now, GW does not have to take our interests to
heart much at all, as there are no companies with the organization to compete with GW.
Even games with debatably better rules (like Warzone and Chronopia) do not have the
support and history yet it takes to compete well. They don't have a "magazine"
featuring lots of bright pictures of their products which dedicates well over half of
its space to advertisements to push its products. All they can depend on is gamestore
owners pushing their products on players, and most gamestores have no reason to stick
their necks out for a new system when they have a good moneymaker already.

I don't want to see the destruction of GW; I want to see them get some competition so
they'll be more response to the desires of their consumers. I vowed to never play EPIC
again when the new rules came out, but I miss wargaming too much to stay away with no
viable aternative. So I'm back, but enjoying my games much less than before.

Face it, were sheep with money to them right now.

So I encourage everyone who currently plays fantasy to try chronopia a few games. It's a
start.

Thane