RE: [Epic] GW and this list.

From: Carl Woodrow <carl.woodrow_at_...>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 17:20:12 -0000

>It also makes good, cold and hard capitalistic sense; They've pissed off
=
>nearly all of their veteran gamers by this point, so they don't want us
>=
bitching and moaning (and warning new players) about how we were
>screwed.=
 Also, many of us have most of what we will ever need in the way
>of minia=
tures, so they don't make as much money by catering to us unless
.>they br=
ing out a new, really appealing army (or ban all the old ones).
>Finally, =
10 - 16 year olds don't find the flaws in their games as
>easily; their "b=
rain trust" is effectively competing against minds they
>can handle. Besid=
es, at that age, having a tactically challenging game
>is not nearly as mu=
ch fun as laying waste to your opponent with a really
>cheesed-out model.=

Wow!....and here was me thinking that it was a pleasant way to spend a Su=
nday afternoon. I didn't realise that GW were in fact such a cold calculati=
ng and corrupt tyranical organisation who's mission was to subvert an obvio=
usly (according to you) naive and easily corrupted adolescent market...stri=
ving to purge all traces of the older adult gamer from their stores lest we=
 ruin their 'good' work and 'warn' these poor misguided souls of the error =
of their ways!...

We could form a coalition and organise ourselves, settin=
g the goal of toppling this 'parasitic' capitalist company from it's positi=
on of preying on our young susceptible minds...maybe a leafleting campaign.=
..or perhaps a march against GW Head Office, we should go to the media abou=
t this despicable behaviour.

Alternatively they could just be a company th=
at makes miniatures and games.? Lets see....the second edition rules and su=
pplements came out between 1992 and 1995, Epic 40K being released in 1997 s=
o that gives on average (counting 1st Edition AT) around 3-4 years between =
each revision. Since 1992 Intel have released more processor families than =
you can shake a stick at, superceding the processor market on average once =
every 5 months. Ford release a new model/style every 4 months, I won't even=
 go into Microsoft's strategy.

Sure...we would all love to be using the sa=
me rules and models for the whole of our adult gaming careers...or would we=
?. GW produce several model ranges and supporting games, but they only have=
 a finite amount of store space to be able to display them. If they didn't =
replace models with newer versions the hobby would become stagnant and we w=
ould still be looking at the same old stuff year in year out. I for one lik=
e a little variety and don't think that revising the rules and armies on av=
erage once every three years to be an unnacceptable price to pay for a welc=
ome change...this does not paint the picture of a company that is just out =
to 'screw' (your words) their customers. If the Epic system and the models =
stayed frozen in time for all eternity then I would have long since got fed=
 up with it and moved on to other pursuits...there are only so many times I=
 can paint the same looking models before getting bored with it and looking=
 for some variety. There are also only so many times that I can play using =
the same set of rules before the game becomes unchallenging.

It's a hobby.=
..not a conspiracy!

<rant off>
Apologies to anyone on the list who would r=
ather not have read this...I don't normally get this wound up, I just feel =
that sometimes we forget what it is we like about Epic and focus on the ant=
i_GW issues too much.

Nuff said...I'll shut up now ;-)

Carl

Carl Woodrow=