Re: [Epic] Armor Penetration in E40k (was Unit Transformations from SM to E40K)

From: Erik Rutins <snowdo1_at_...>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 19:52:44 -0500

> Well, I'm not talking about disrupt weapons actually
> being able to hurt their targets. As it happens, I think GW

I did do a good job of avoiding your main points, didn't I? Hm. You
could always add rules like your AP rules to disrupt weapons. i.e. the
Contagion would only disrupt vehicles or war engines on a 5+? One might
also say that if a disrupt weapon rolls a 6 on the disrupt die it causes
a hit (monofilament drops right on target).

> contagions? "What's that thumping noise?" "Sir, they seem to
> be hurling... dead bodies at us." "...OK... well, carry on,
> then."

<grin> Nice example.

> Can mortars (like the Bombard) ever really be considered
> to be firing 'direct'? I don't know how accurate these sorts of
> weapons are IRL.

True - the really heavy arty would have trouble. I was thinking about
the M109A6 Paladin of the US Army but things like the Manticore are
comparable to the MLRS systems which as far as I know can't fire direct
at all.

> As a hack/add-on/fix, I suppose you could add a 'armor
> penetration' stat to all SHWs that can be either positive or
> negative, and should probably never be more than 1 or 2 - a

I kinda like it - if you make it up to Vermont after the move or we make
it down, I'd be happy to playtest.

Regards,

- Erik