Re: [Epic] Other mini rules (Semi OT)

From: Alan E & Carmel J Brain <aebrain_at_...>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 18:51:30 +1000

Miller, Chris wrote:

> OK, it's been a while since I toyed with micro-armor, but for
> those list members who do, what rule-sets do you use/prefer/recommend?
> The only set right now which I'm even aware of is Command Decision, but
> I know there have to be others. I'm mainly looking at WW2 and modern
> armor stuff.

I'd recommend WRG (Wargames Research Group). Trouble is, there are 2
different editions of WW2 rules, and 3 of modern. Still, that's in 25
years, so isn't too bad.

The latest editions (WEG 1925-1950 and WRG 1950-2000) are compatible
with each other, because for example, the Syrians used ex-Wehrmacht Pz
IVs in 1967, and some Sherman Fireflies are still in use in The Chaos
Formerly Known As Yugoslavia if you examine the newsreels carefully.

These rules are set for 1:1 scale, ie 1 tank represents one tank.
Infantry come 3-6 to a base. Recommended ground scale for Epic
(6mm/1285) is 1/2000, but I find 1/1000 works best for early war, and
even 1/300 is doable providing you're using infantry mainly (eg Pacific
War, USMC vs Japanese).

> Also, anyone do any WW1/WW2 naval stuff? I've played a lot of
> boardgames, but Ihaven't gotten my feet wet on the mini side, but now
> that I've seen GDQ's naval minis, I'm interested.

GHQ I assume. I'd STRONGLY recommend "General Quarters". I was involved
in a campaign about 20 years ago where we tried just about every system
then available, staring with TSR's "Cordite and Steel". GQ came up with
a realistic simulation, that was very simple to use in fleet actions.

> I'd say reply to e-mail, but if we can talk about Star Wars mini's, go
> ahead and put it to the list...maybe we'll work on some naval rules for
> Epic using Revell or Monogram models...

Actually I have a number of Ogre figures, and have worked out stats for
a Mk V something along those lines. (Obligatory nod to being on-topic
#1)

The other thing is that Heroics/Ross do a number of VERY nice lines of
1/300 infantry and cavalry, plus Heavy Weapons. The Warsaw Pact Infantry
in particular are great to use as Normal IG now the plastic is no longer
available. (ONTBOT #2)

--
 abrain_at_...  o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo     oo