Re: [Epic] WW2 with EPIC

From: Aaron <akkala_at_...>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 16:43:07 -0600

J. Michael Looney wrote:

> You have the small arms to tank gun ratio down about right, however you
> really missed the mark on artillery.
> You have assigned way to SHORT ranges to artillery. vs tank guns. There
> is NO way that a Panther out ranges a 75mm howitzer, much less by 50%.
> For the record, the Panther has a range of about 1000 meters, the
> howitzer about 7,000 to 12,000 depending.

I knew my ranges were a bit off but it mostly has to do with the scale
of EPIC. GW deliberately reduced the ranges of weapons for play balance
and I was trying to keep that while still showing differences between
weapons. If I set all the weapons to maximum range then pretty much any
unit could shoot across the table. I was trying to set the range at
"effective range" (which can mean pretty much what ever I want), but I
agree that units with the "Artillery" ability should have longer range
while Assault Guns (like the PzIVA) will still have short range to
reflect the lack of accuracy of their short barrel guns.

> What I would do would be Artillery has unlimited range, but use the
> E41K forward observer rules. (short version: 1/4 fire power if firing
> blind, 1/2 fire power if using a FO, full fire power if the guns have
> LOS on the target.)

I though about that, buy I was trying to keep it simple. I don't like
unlimited range (even if I have to force it) because I want a relatively
safe "backfield" part of the table to fake some of the tactics of a
larger scale (my preference)

                                           -- Aaron Day