Re: [Epic] Eldar knights

From: Thane Morgan <thane_at_...>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 1998 22:21:52 -0700

I have two problems with these rules.

A) This would be the first example of an E40K unit with race specific
abilities, something I have not missed from the old game. The problem
with this is somewhat philosophical; if one race gets anti-race specific
units, then all should. Also, the points system is then thrown off; what
may have been a 10 point unit gets the abilities of a 20 point unit
against that one army. Bringing me to the second issue:

2) The points seem a little low. They compare reasonably with a Falcon
grav from Move, speed, range, fp and armor, which costs 29 points. For
6 extra points, you lose the part of the skimmer ability, though they
are less terrain sensitive than most vehicles. They then recieve +3
assault, a slick attack ability, and a 3+ save (marines pay roughly 4
points for the save of 4+).
Quick Calcs:
+3 assault = +3 points (based on difference betwenn war walkers and
dreadnoughts
Save 3+ = +6 points (based on save from termies, plus the fact its a
better save for a better unit)
CC disrupt- +8 points (almost arbitrary- disrupt is one of the most
costly attacks in the game; this isn't the normal ranged attack, but
then it is going to affect a unit at exactly the worst time for it.)
Loss of skimming -2 (still has better mobility than a normal vehicle)
so 15 points more than a falcon = 44pts or so

Thane