Re: [Epic] Troop/Tank Rule

From: J. Michael Looney <mlooney_at_...>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 09:07:42 -0600

Cyril Crocker wrote:

> I've been thinking over why anyone would ever put their infantry
> behind their tanks rather then in front to soak up the hits. It seems
> totally illogical until I remembered that the basis of Epic40k is the Blast
> Marker.

1) In the real world commanders don't like to lose infantry if they can
avoid it. Things that kill tanks, in general arn't stopped by infantry,
but things that kill infantry ARE stopped by tanks. And yeah, I know,
realism and GW is an oxomoron, but lets go with this.
2) The effect of being behind the tank is to increase the armor by 1, so
SM need become 6+ armor.

Example (with rule) LR = Leman Russ IG = Imperial Grunts

LR 6+ to hit
IG 4+ to hit

with out the rule
LR 6+
IG 3+

If in this your case not only will you lose a troop if the dice comes up
a 3, you get a blast marker. In the case of with the rule, you get no
effect. It gets worse if Space Jarheads are in the picture, because
then you need 6+ to hit.

Now in the case of CC, it is assumed that the infantry is in front, and
counts at full value for the assualt, which well keep tanks from being
blown away quite so fast in assaults.

--
Sillyness is the last refuse of the doomed.  P. Opus
http://www.spellbooksoftware.com