RE: [Epic] Ork Help - long

From: Miller, Chris <CMiller_at_...>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 10:55:06 -0600

> Sorry, I don't play orks and I generally try not to talk about stuff
> that I don't know much about.

        --------> Well then step aside T.M., because there's plenty of
us that will!
        <moved questions to end of message>
        Orks:
        I was gonna do this before, but it got real long and I was sure
someone else would do it. Shows me. Anyway, here 'tis:
I realise probably need shooty Boyz and more Wierdboyz but not how
many I need.
 FORCE LIST GARGANTS
Unpainted - 1 Mega Gargant
-----> You already have several painted. Unless you plan to fight big
big battles all the time, put him on the back burner until a hot idea
really grabs you.
                            - 1 Mekboy Gargant
----> He's not in the new rules, so if that's mainly what you're going
to use, don't bother. If you will play some SM/TL still, then go ahead -
these guys are great fun...
Partially Painted - Bad Moonz Mega Gargant (only Wierdboy Tower,
Krooz
                                    Missiles left to paint)
                - Goff Mega Gargant
Painted - Evil Sunz Mega Gargant
------> If you have the points, take one in every battle - they're good.
                            - 3 Evil Sunz Great Gargants
(armed as per ones in Battle book supplement)
-------> If you will play any SM/TL at all, always take a Gargant Big
Mob and always take these guys - it's even more important if you will be
facing other titans, especially an Imperator - the Gutbuster is a
serious titan killer. For E40K, between all the Slashers and megas,
they're good but you won't take 3 too often.
                           - 3 Deathskull Slasher Gargants
(1 with Gutbuster, Ripper Fist, Slasha Attack Gun
  other 2 with Gutbuster, Death Kannon, Cluster Buster)
                            - Goff Slasher Gargant
(snapper, ripper fist, slasha attack gun)
-------> These are good in low-points games in either edition as you
still get the belly gun, but I tend towards the big guys first.

***Two big suggestions on superheavy things and titans in either
edition: We would sometimes set aside a seperate points pool as "Titan
Points" which was strictly for titans and superheavies, mainly because
in 2nd ed you could see some strange results if one side had many titans
and one side had none, especially if you used the titan objectives. May
want to consider it, especially if your friends have numerous titans.
Also, get a campaign going in some way so you can use the titan
experience rules - it makes a big difference when one unit starts
getting some kills and special abilities as to whether you take it or
not. My Evil Sunz Slasha " 'Otfoot" with the flame job and the Nike
Swoosh painted on his feet quickly became a runnin' bobbin' weavin' fool
in one memorable campaign, and has appeared in every fight since he was
painted (where I've played Orks, anyway) with out blowing up. It makes
the game more fun - and ain't that the point?

BATTLEFORTRESSES
Deathskull Gibletgrinda
Evil Sunz Gibletgrinda
Goff Skullhamma

2 New ones as yet unpainted (thinking 1 Bad Moonz 1 Snakebites)

------> E40K:One big detachment of these is pretty fast, fairly shooty,
carries a seperate 20-stand detachment of boyz, and will get shot up
less than a few individuals out there alone.
         SM/TL: Pick one clan and "Mechanize" it. Have enough transport
for every ork in it, so they can get somewhere quick. The evil sunz are
like this naturally, but consider the goffs...(My goffs have 1
gibgrinda, 2 units of battlewagons(with the gib this makes all infantry
portable), a dragsta (for the shield), and a unit of bonebreakas :4
deathrollers -counting the gib- means they can plow through a thinly
held line sometimes, getting to the soft chewy artillery center. Or
penetrate to an objective more easily.

CLANS

GENERIC
12 Wildboz
12 Madboyz
--------> These guys don't exist in E40K anymore. In SM/TL, madboyz are
great (free) - use the spare slots from a mega-gargant to fit 'em in.
Never liked Wildboyz, I mixed 'em in on stands with regular orks as
snakebites
4 Stormboyz + Stormboyz Kaptin (Black and Yellow Shoulderpads)
4 Stormboyz + Stormboyz Kaptin (Red Shoulderpads)

------> Stormboyz are handy in both versions. If you make up an assault
specific unit, they're a good fit. Or if you want to be sneaky in E40K,
put 'em in a shooty detachment, and use 'em as an active defense to
counter-charge or throw up a quick wall of units.

DEATHSKULLS
3 Braincrushers
------> These're just battlewagons now
BLOOD AXE
8 Rhinos
6 Landraiders
------> You lose these, officially. Could be battlewagons.
EVIL SUNZ
3 Spleenrippas
6 Battlewagons
3 Bowelburnas
3 Bonebreakers
------> All of these are battlewagons or bikes/buggies now.
GOFFS
Mag Uruk Ghazgkull Thraka
-------> E40K: Who? : )
1 Magna Kannon
-----> I use this as flakwagon or a lifta droppa speedsta for E40K

Main Questions What do people thing should paint next?
--------> Figure out one or two detachments then assemble/paint the figs
you need. Or, look through your minis, some old battle reports,and get
inspired to paint something.
                        Do I need to buy any more minatures that are
                              missing?
-----><Cough> I think you have a pretty good start...
                        How can I organise best into detachements?
-------> Figure out what mission you want a detachment to perform, then
add the troops you need to do it.
- You may want a sit-back-and-shoot detachment of pulsa's, big gunz, and
shooty boyz, with maybe a few assault troops to guard them.

- You might want a mobile assault group with battlewagons to transport
the boyz, and plenty of bikes and buggies.

- A slow, massive assault wave is very orky too - all foot boyz. It's
slow, but it will draw some fire if it's big enough, and it's unlikely
you will be able to mechanize _everyone_. Throw in some stompers and
dreads too.

- I like an intermediate speed unit of snakebites: boarboyz with
squiggoths and maybe a few dreads and stompas.

- If you take all 5 battleforts as a unit, build a 20-stand detachment
focussed on either sheer assault power (Nobz and skarboyz), or make it
an easily-transported firebase: mostly shooty boyz, and big gunz with a
few boyz or nobz stands for defense. Either way, you run right up to the
badguys, dump the boyz, and hose the poop out of them...

- Most of your battlewagons and bikes will probably go to Kult of Speed
detachments. Try building one totally out of battlewagons. It won;t be
as fast, but it will be tough, have ok firepower and a decent assault
value. You might want to use similar minis, like all bonebreaka tanks,
to make it stand out. Also, this unit could potentially transport
another detatachment like the battleforts above.

- You want one very speedy unit, maybe all bikes, to get something on
the table in those "escalating engagement" scenarios.

                       As all the current models are based on old
                           stand should any new ones I paint go on
                           those as well to keep continuity or should
                           I use new ones?

        ------> This one really depends on which one you'll be playing.
The new bases really don't work well under the old game, so if that's
what you're playing, I wouldn't do it. If you'll mainly be playing the
new one, why bother using old bases? If it's a mix, it looks like you
have plenty of things to play the old game with so try making some new
ones just for the new game. You'll probably want to keep some
detachments around permanently for E40K , so why not use the new bases
for them.

        The only other thing I'll add is I try to make a given
detachment all one clan: It just feels better to me, and I think it
helps them better fit the mission and image I have in my head when I
build them. My Bad moonz tend to have more shooty boyz and big guns, My
Goffs tend to be the assault forces, my evil sunz turn up as either one
but they're always mechanized. I built a hard evil sunz unit after TL
with extra nobz and 2 units of bonebreakas for getting in and tearing
things up and I like this setup in E40K also.The skulls tend to have
lotsa shooty boyz too. My snakebites are a little different - In SM/TL
I thought that stompas went well with the usual squiggoths and squig
katapults, so I painted up some snakebite stompas. I have continued
this so my newer E40K snakebites use the stompas and squiggoths too,
along with boarboyz and now some dreads. If they have to walk, they
might as well bring the hard stuff. Any assault units can have
weirdboyz added as neccessary - get lots, and they don't all have to be
battlewagons either.
           You have plenty of troop types and vehicles to make this
work. Try it.

            Final Note: The Warlord. I find the Warlord in a gargant of
some type works well AS LONG AS YOU TAKE MORE THAN ONE GARGANT. If you
only take one, _and_ it's your leader, you're just making it an even
juicier target for every deathray on the board. He need bodyguards.
Taking him as a vehicle or foot unit can get him killed quick by AT
shots or deathrays as they can pick him out of the crowd, so you might
as well put him behind some power fields. Kinda depends on who & how you
play...

        Hope this is more what you were looking for

        Chris Miller