Re: [Epic] Favorite Detachments

From: Erik Rutins <snowdo1_at_...>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 15:46:21 -0500

> 2) If you're like many of us and have certain ready-made units which
> use repeatedly, what's your favorite and why? Go ahead and list 'em
> - if you have something good, we might want to copy them...

I don't believe detachment design is as important as some make it out to
be - the main thing is being aware of what the detachments that you do
have are capable of doing. I mainly design my detachments for a single
purpose and then put them in an army with lots of different
detachments. The army becomes very mult-role but each detachment has a
relatively narrow mission.

OK, here are a few of my favorites. Compliments on your mechanized
marine assault force - I like it and will be trying it out in my marine
armies in the future.

Imperial Armor Combat Team:
6 Leman Russ MBTs
3 Hellhound CSTs

18FP at 45cm. Everything has 3FP for firefights. Hellhounds if
maneuvered carefully can keep the detachment safe from lopsided close
assaults. Very distracting for the opponent if you field these in front
of war engines. Easy to put together (2BPs of Leman's + 1BP of
Hellhounds). No rocket science here, but it works well.

Imperial Heavy Detachment
3 Heavy Squads, 1 with a Commissar
1 Command Squad w/Captain
4 Chimeras
3 Support Weapons
1 Ogryns Squad

10FP and 3 AT shots at 45cm. 2 units have Saves. Ogryns for warding
off Assaults. Mix of FP + SHWs maximizes Blast Markers and gives
anti-armor ability. Fairly mobile for redeployment.

Avatar's Guard
4 Dreadnoughts

Supreme Commander with Assault and Firepower. 'nuff said - best way to
field an Avatar, IMHO, unless you plan on loading him in a Vampire.

The Veterans
4 Terminator Squads
4 Land Raiders
2 Dreadnoughts

8AT and 4FP at 45cm. Up to 12FP at 30cm. 4 Saves on the 5+ armor units,
the rest are all 6+. Very tough unit to take down with shooting or
firefights. Assault wise Terminators have 3, LRs 2, Dreads 4 which
still makes it tough. This one has served me well in all my marine
armies.

Brother Buford and his LRRPs
6 Scout Squads
6 Razorbacks

A nice recon detachment - fast, elusive, with just a bit of a sting at
enough range to fire and flee. Enough armor, assault and close range FP
to try to hold off a superior force if they have to.

Medium Armor Team
6 Predators
3 Vindicators

Same general principles as the Leman Russ detachment above. Easy to
construct, serves well, tough to kill with everything at 6+ armor.

Quick Strike/Recon
9 Bike Squads
9 Attack Bikes

205 points buys you a lot in this detachment. They go where you want
'em and can hit pretty hard. Very little staying power other than
numbers. Buy 2 and give your opponent some fits.

Far Slayer Host
6 Dark Reaper Squads + Exarchs
6 Falcons

Heavy hitting aspect warrior support troops. 24 FP at 45cm. Very mobile
and despite having 2FP per squad the exarch means they also have 3
Assault. Expensive for the purpose but can be fun as they are highly
capable. Might be worth it to swap a falcon for a wave serpent loaded
with two support weapons for the AT shots if you intend to just sit and
shoot.

Regards,

- Erik