RE: [Epic] Getting (paint) off

From: Kelley, Kevin J., JCS <kevin.kelley_at_...>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 13:00:59 -0500

        The best thing to use for getting paint off metal figs of
anykind is "paint stripper" down at the local hardware store.
        If you know what kind of paint you can get more special purpose
paint remover. You just toss the mini[s] in
        - it will also dissolve the glue.

        Take the mini out and take an [old] toothbrush and warm water
and scrub off the "goo" and then I use a small wire
         brush to get the detail clean. For pewter figs use a steel
brush - for lead use copper wire brush. Fial step is to take a dremel
roto tool with a samll wire wheel and polish up the surfaces. Small
riffler files are also usefull, as well as old dental picks.

        Plastics are a problem. If it is acrylic paint you can use warm
water and dish detergent. Soak the thing a coupla days and use the
toothbrush on it. You can use rubbing alcohol sparingly on reclacitrant
spots or as a last resort, acetone.

        Enamel or any oil base paints on plastic have thus far defied
any of my attempts all have damaged the plastic - either melting it or
making it real brittle.

        Kevin