Re: [Epic] Orks in various rules set

From: Scott Shupe <shupes_at_...>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 15:08:43 -0500

J. Michael Looney wrote:

> OK kids, I have a simple little trivia quiz here.
>
> Listed below are the number of Ork Infantry, Vehicles (any thing not
> infantry or gargants) and Gargants supported in a given rules set. For
> this quiz only those units listed in the basic rule set count. Having
> an entry in a data table that states "special rules" and not giving the
> rules does not count.

        Which would rule out 90% of the units listed in TL.
Just doing 'basic box' with SM/TL doesn't work since the rules
for almost all of the units are in Warlords.

> The rules in question are Epic 40K, SM/TL,
> SM/TL/WL
  ^^^^^^^^
        SM/TL with Warlords?

> and Codex Titanicus. To count as a different type it must have
> at least one statistics different from all others of that class, so that
> the SM/TL Death Skulls & Evils Suns are the same (identical stats).
> Also this does NOT take into account weapons fit on Gargants, Just basic
> hulls.

        As a non-Ork player with no books to consult:

> Set one:
> Infantry: 7
> Vehicles: 7
> Gargants: 4

        Looking at your criteria, this has to be SM/TL.

> Set two:
> Infantry: 14
> Vehicles: 16
> Gargants: 6

        I want to say SM/TL/WL, but I can't remember more than 4
gargant types in 2nd edition (slasher, mekboy, great, and mega).
So this must be CT.

> Set three:
> Infantry: 10
> Vehicles: 10
> Gargants: 4

        Which makes this SM/TL/WL, I guess. Doesn't look right,
though.

> Set four:
> Infantry: 29
> Vehicles: 13
> Gargants: 4

        I'm betting this is E40k...

> I was going to just use "basic game right out the box" for this, but
> basic Space Marine 2nd ed is SO limited on Orks that BOTH box sets for
> SM/TL are in use.

        I think SM/Warlords and SM/TL/Warlords would have been
a better comparison. Space Marines and Titan Legions were not
stand alone games by any means.

> The question: Which set is which.

        There are 4 gargants in E40k? I thought it was just
Gargant, Great Gargant, and Mega Gargant. What other type is
there?

Scott Shupe
shupes_at_... shupes@... http://www.rpi.edu/~shupes
"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun." - Army of Darkness