Re: [Epic] Painting Ork Detachments

From: Andy Skinner <askinner_at_...>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 16:03:25 -0500

Los wrote:
> When I first picked up the E40k boxed set, I figured I'd paint the Ork
> army just so I could get a feel for painting Epic stuff. What I wasn't
> sure of is whether I was supposed to paint all the differnt units as if
> they were from differnt mobz. instead what I did was paint pretty much
> all my orks as if the were Goffs (Black and red motif). Everyone got
> this basic paint job, even the Nobz, Shooty Boyz, Tanks, blah blah. Was
> this just the mark of a newbie or do others do this. Since I play
> tyranids and marines (building an IG army now), I don't really mess with
> Orks that much though when I put in an order for other stuff, I'll
> ususally get something orkish (flak waggons, fighta bommers, etc) to
> slowly round out this force.

Different people have different priorities. I keep going back and forth
on whether I'm going to do anything with my large collection of Orks.
I'm currently planning on keeping them, so that I won't have to regret
getting rid of them in the next flip-flop. :-) But if/when I paint
them, I'll be using lots of Orky colors. I don't know if I will paint
by clans, though. I'd have to paint more, rather than choose from a big
supply of generic boyz. The clans don't make that much difference to
me. This is along the lines of what I asked about painting
detachments. Fluff purists don't usually care for my approach--I don't
pay much attention to Eldar aspect colors, either, or Space Marine
fluff. Of course a lot of that fluff is in games I don't own. But it
just isn't important to me. I may also make my Orks brown.

But they're a way behind Eldar and Space Marines in the painting queue,
anyway. :-)

andy

--
Andy Skinner