Re: [Epic] Pure Titan Armies (and Epic 40K)

From: Bayani R Caes <LordSigma+_at_...>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 14:37:38 -0500 (EST)

> >> If your army morale goes to zero you have lost the will to fight and
> >> lost the game. If no one goes to zero before you run out of turns then
> > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >> the one with the most morale gets the tactical victory.
> >
> >I got a bad feeling about this. Isn't this something that 40K players
> >houserule a lot? I don't like the concept of knowing when *exactly* the
> >fight will end ("Well heck, I'll just toss the entirety of my bike
> >company at his Colossi, 'cause it's make-or-break time.")
>
> Maybe I'm missing yoru point, but yoou pretty much know exactly how many
> points you have and how many you need under the current system. Why would
> this be any different?

If I know I'm behind and need some absurd gambles (i.e. "Well, it
*could* happen. Statistically, anyway.") to win *this turn* (as opposed
to a future turn) I would take them. I hear about 40K battles where
"suicidal moves" were made in the last turn when one player got
desparate. Let me see if I can construe an example without making
myself look like a total idiot.... {:)

Let's say the Squat player has three Colossi. If I can knock them all
off and hold my objectives, I can win. To accomplish this, I have an
almost broken Bike company and a pair of Heavy companies that have just
been broken. Said Bike company is sitting on an objective which can't
be taken from me by some infantry this turn, but could be taken from me
next turn. Even if the infantry could get to me, they wouldn't be able
to break the Bikes, because they're badly broken too. The Heavy comps
are all sitting in buildings and can't be fired on by the SHVs (at least
not without being a tough shot.) However, since he's ahead in points,
if the game were to end now, he'd win. VPs are pretty close, but he's
still ahead.

Between the two Heavy comps, I could probably take down a Colossus a
turn by concentrating on one a turn. (Yeah, I know it's not likely, but
let's just say my Heavies have suddenly found a hot streak. I also have
to assume that the Squat player has suddenly turned cold.) However, if
I order only one company to fire on one Colossus, there's a good chance
that I won't get past the void shields.

One of the offending Colossi is inside charge range for the Bikes, and
and all three are within range of the Heavy comps. Given the way the
Squat player has been going, I can safely assume that all three Colossi
are on FF orders.

Now, if I think the game could go another three turns (also another
unlikely, but stick with me on this; games have gone 8 turns with me
before) I think I'd let the bikes try to hold the objective, and try to
defend the objective against the already-broken infantry with 25 cm guns
and 20 cm charge, and spend the next three turns taking a good gamble at
plugging a Colossus a turn.

If I knew the game was going to end this turn, I'd charge the bikes at
the nearest Colossus, and take the bad gamble that each of the Heavy
comps can take down one Colossus. It probably won't work, but it's the
only chance I have on winning the game this turn. Even if he breaks the
bikes in CC, the points I get out of a trio of Colossi is much more than
the 3 he gets out of breaking the Bike comp, so I would still win.

Am I clear now, or have I screwed up even more?

> Temp
-BC

> Jeez - 8 hours on 1500 pts?
8 turns, 6 hours. Here's what happened:
1. It was Tac Comp and a Heavy Comp vs. a Warrior Brotherhood in a
setting with lots of buildings. 7+ shots were being taken all night.
2. CC did not happen until the very end. I was very reluctant to send
my troops charging his, since he's got a better CAF and this irritating
ability to keep rerolling 1s until he gets not-a-1 in CC.
3. It was late, it was my second game, and both of our brains were fried.