Re: [Epic] Re: Mostly off topic (turns into a rant)

From: Thane Morgan <thane_at_...>
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 1998 20:00:21 -0700

> No worries, I get what you are saying ;) The Sportsmanship thing was
> introduced so that you could be judged by your peers and hopefully this
> would eradicate some of the cheese. But unfortunately, it goes too far the
> other way and can be open to immense abuse itself. You could do brilliantly
> in a game, make jokes with (not at) your opponent, discuss the tactical
> issues that cropped up and buy the guy a drink afterwards. But if you
> absolutely creamed him in the game whilst taking very little losses, is he
> likely to be well disposed towards you? This is a tournament after all,
> where there are stakes to be won or lost.

It's ironic. You get to show poor sportsmanship by accusing your opponent of poor
sportsmanship. In this case, it hurt what sounds like a good sportsman, and in the
other tournament, it was a complete non-factor for first place.

Maybe everyone should agree to give everyone zeroes, and convince the judges to
drop it next time.

Thane