Re: [Epic] New Player.. Not New lister

From: Thane Morgan <thane_at_...>
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 1998 20:44:10 -0700

Derek Tabor wrote:

> Hi.. I have been subscribed to the list for sometime now, and after finding
> out that it was Epic, and not 40k, I filtered all messages into the trash
> and ignored them..
>
> Well, Sure as hell, I have decided to play epic...
> I havent got much, as i decided last week and i dont even have the boxed
> set yet, but I will soon enough.
>
> I bought a little box of space marines for like 8.50.. its the "Space
> Marine Battle Group" or something that has 3 tac squads, 1 ass squad, 1 dev
> squad, 4 bikes(2 groups of 2?), 1 scout squad and 6 characters.
>
> I have decided to play Imperial Forces obviously and am asking as to what
> my next investment should be aside from the boxed set.
>
> I am definetely not playing strict Space marines.... I plan to have more
> than enough Imperial Guard in the army.. but since i do not as yet, know
> how the game works... i dont know how much a significant amount is.

I'd go with at least three detats of armor; maybe six leman russ's with
3 to 6 chimeras of infantry in one; 5-6 landraiders and 3 predators,
with 3 tac squads of marines for the second, and 1 more repeat of one of
these two, depending on whether you like SM or IG better.

IG means artillery, so six basilisks/bombards with supporting infantry
is a good detat.

Warhounds are a good investment for FP from points. Not that you can get
them yet, but when you get the chance, do so.

Try to get 8 attack bikes with 6 regular bikes. This is a fast force
which can soak up a bit of damage without hurting its FP much, and it
can slow an advance with a strong firefight ability.

I kinda like landspeeders, but you have to use terrain carefully to get
your value from them.

If you can get enough rough riders, they would probably be a fun unit

I usually play assault marines in six squad units, led by a librarian or
captain and librarian. Thats a lot of boxes though. You may want to base
them "incorrectly" to get the most for your money; I put three tac with
two assault on my stands; purist may sneer, but I've got three times as
many assault squads for my money.

> What is the typical game size for epic?

3000 points is our standard game for a 4X6' or 4X8' table.

Thane