Re: [Epic] Rants. Was SM/TL vs E40K unit costs

From: J. Michael Looney <mlooney_at_...>
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 1998 16:17:03 -0600

pentacle_at_... wrote:

> > It's a better looking game with banners & such, but if you have
> >them people will try to use that to justify sniping the special units.
> >So you can either allow this (bad game), delete all banners and
> >decoration (bad looking), or just outlaw it thru a rule and leave the
> >banners etc. in (good for game, good for mini's).
> >

> > Chris Miller
> >
> Chris, this is the best explanation I have ever heard on all this. And you
> are exactly right. I play wargames, because of a sick fascination with war
> and tactics, and in all my studies, I have noticed that only Headquarter
> bound officers, where discernably different uniforms. In the field all
> troopers where damn near the same thing. Picking out an officer is near
> impossible during a firefight. But lets face it, one of the funnest aspecta
> of this game is seeing what new and excitig characters stands, and custom
> figures people paint and build, so if we got rid of the character figures a
> lot of us would not be nearly is interested.

My problem is not with pretty officers, at one point in my gaming career
I did a lot of Nappy and Medieval, and the officer types in those games
are quit nice looking models that really stand out from the mob of
troops behind them, the thing I have problems with is that, unlike in a
Nappy game, where loosing an officer means that you may have some
command and control problems, in Warhammer & WH40k the "officers" ARE
the major part of your fighting force and they are immune to fire from
the rest of the army.

It is like playing a WW2 game and saying "I painted this Tiger II real
nice, and of course it is the most dangerous thing in my army, but you
can't shoot at it until all the Panzer III in front of it are dead,
never mind the fact that they can't hurt your T-34 tanks." And yeah, as
a general rule the number of Tiger II in a game should be only 1 or 2
(assuming you are playing some thing semi close to real historical)