Re: [Epic] Rants. Was SM/TL vs E40K unit costs

From: J. Michael Looney <mlooney_at_...>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 1998 08:19:50 -0600

Chris Miller wrote:

> Honestly JML I like a lot of the things you've done here, like with E41K,
> but don't go nuts trying to force a reality template on the 40K universe -
> it won't fit. It never has. It's not supposed to. If I want realism, I'll
> play Harpoon and if I want simpler fun I'll play Man o War. I don't like the
> simpler modern/historical games precisely because I know the way it should
> work and reducing an M1A1 to something with a "2+ save" just drives me nuts.
> I can deal with it in Epic, though because it isn't modeling anything real.
> You know, if we started a list of "things which are not realistic in Games
> Workshop Products" list it would take more paper to print than all of the
> rules for their games combined, so how long are we going to beat the
> decaying equine corpse this time? : )

Oh, until I get through this batch of e-mail. To make my point clear,
while I have problems with targeting rules in general, my major problem
here is that normally when GW does something off the wall in the rules,
they cover it with the fluff. This is OK, that's what the fluff is. In
this case they cover it with "realism". This does not compute.

--
Sillyness is the last refuse of the doomed.  P. Opus