Re: [Epic] Rants. Was SM/TL vs E40K unit costs

From: J. Michael Looney <mlooney_at_...>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 1998 08:05:28 -0600

"Let me explain. No, there is too much, let me sum up."

1) I know that GW games are not a real refection of warfare. [even
though E40K could be made into one, with out too much work, mainly
dealing with weapon ranges]
2) I know the main reason for GW to exist is to sell figures, not rules.
3) I know there are game balance (and I use that term loosely) reasons
to protect the "ghod like super grunts (GLSG)" from the rank and file.
4) All version of Warhammer, WH40K and Epic have GLSG, to one degree or
another (in E40Ks the assault value of a SM Captain is twice that of a
normal SM grunt, and E40K has the least amount of this).
5) My problem, and what started all of this is that, as Argo mentioned,
when ever something gets a bit weird in the rules they quote "The Codex"
as their cover story. This is good, this makes it seem like a "real"
universe, with it's own sort of weird rules. I can live with this.
Lots of SF games do this sort of thing.
6) Until we get to targeting a GLSG, then they fall back on realism.
"Excuse me?" You have set up a universe in which officers were VERY
distinct clothing. You have rules that cover laying down and hiding, it
is not assumed to be the norm (as in, say Warzone or DSII), therefore
you by Ghod CAN see the f_at_#$@#er.
7) In fact I do have trouble with any targeting rules. Last night I
re-read the rules in current WH40K, and you are in fact supposed to do
squad vs squad fire, where the figure that gets killed (assuming that
all targets have the same armor, cover status, toughness, etc.) is
determined at random. I don't have a problem with this, this is the
same thing that my micro armor rules of choice "Command Decision" does.
Granted in CD a stand is a platoon and in WH40K it's one troop, but from
a game point a view, this is not that important. WH40K also states that
if a GLSG is part of the squad he takes his chances with the squad. On
the other hand it explicitly states that if he is behind the squad and
not part of it he can not be targeted. I do have a problem with that
rule. Space Marines are not the best example of why this is a problem
to me, as a SM grunt IS a danger, however you have an Ork Warboss with a
screen of grots out in front of him. Grots are next to useless. The
Warboss, if allowed to get close, will eat you. Do you
a) shot at the grots
b) target the thing that next turn is going to wipe out your squad in
hand to hand?

And if you are going to tell me that I can't tell a 7' tall thing with
flags sticking up 5 feet over his head from a herd of 4' tall things
with ineffective weapons in front of him, well, you sir, have been in a
closed room with an open pot of model glue to long.

--
Sillyness is the last refuse of the doomed.  P. Opus