Re: [Epic] Rants. Was SM/TL vs E40K unit costs

From: Los <los_at_...>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 1998 10:51:33 -0800

Chris Miller wrote:

> Historically if there's a wave of tanks approaching, you shoot the
> guys in
> front. If you kill them or get close enough to get a visual ID that
> unit A
> is not a threat and unit B is, then sure, you can nail the panther
> behind
> them, but not too many tank crews are just gonna let that Pz III
> patoon just
> zip on by into their rear unmolested. I think maybe you're assuming
> that
> what's important & apparent to you as the player high above the battle
> is
> the same as the grunts in the fight, and it's not. The closest thing
> to me
> with a gun is probably my biggest concern, and he gets most of my
> attention.
> Done with him, I'll check the next guy I see.

This all boils down to a matter of fire distribution. Any unit with a
measure of competency (and it's certainly established doctrine in any
Western army) is that you eliminate high value targets first. High value
targets on an armored battlefield are:1. C3 vehicles..(easy to pick out
in a (for instance) Soviet doctrine based army due to the number of
antennas and position in attack formation(in the back)
2. Flak vehicles. Kill them and your air can go to work for you.
3. EW vehicles. We used to have these really cool posters that said MOST
WANTED and owuld have a picture of a Jamming or RDF vehicle saying. THIS
VEHICLE IS MARKED FOR TOP PRIORITY DESTRUCTION.
4. Arty. (If you happen to be rummaging around and you see these.

Yes if you have enemy 100 meters away you're going to shoot at the
closest thing, but if you let them get that close (talking non infantry
open terrain stuff like most GW games). Then you already screwed up.

ALso if you have tanks and infantry attacking you and you are in good
defensive terrain, then you kill the infantry first (using arty or AT
shots againsttheir IFVs). Once you seperate tanks from their infantry
support you have busted up the enemies comnined arms and that remaining
system (tanks) now become more vulnerable to your combined arms. This is
basic common sense art of war stuff that's been practiced by winners for
a few thousand years. (tanks=cavalry etc)

Of course as it's easy to point out, the Warhamemr universe was never
really thought out in a way to provide a level of realism suitable to
modern microarmor or wargame player, hence we have these discussions all
the time as we trty to retrofit rules into the system.

I for one enjoy the discussions.

Los