Re: [Epic] Rants. Was SM/TL vs E40K unit costs

From: J. Michael Looney <mlooney_at_...>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 1998 08:15:19 -0600

Chris Miller wrote:

> Historically if there's a wave of tanks approaching, you shoot the guys in
> front. If you kill them or get close enough to get a visual ID that unit A
> is not a threat and unit B is, then sure, you can nail the panther behind
> them, but not too many tank crews are just gonna let that Pz III patoon just
> zip on by into their rear unmolested. I think maybe you're assuming that
> what's important & apparent to you as the player high above the battle is
> the same as the grunts in the fight, and it's not. The closest thing to me
> with a gun is probably my biggest concern, and he gets most of my attention.
> Done with him, I'll check the next guy I see.
> The level of fire discipline you're assuming is damn high also. WW2
> Russian tank crews don't see a "Pz III model J" or a "Tiger II" - they see a
> "enemy tank" as opposed to "infantry" (who they might well ignore for a
> while), and if they're good they see "little tank" vs "big tank" and aren't
> happy about either one until they're all dead, but if they regularly ignore
> certain tanks because the players know they can't hurt their units, that's
> very non-historical.

As it happens, in the Western Desert, my preferred non-SF universe,
there are more than one examples of both British and German tanks crews
and anti tank gunners deliberately shooting past the leading edge of an
on coming "wave" to hit the "heavy" (in this context the PZIIIJ WAS the
heavy) behind the lighter stuff. Granted telling a Panzer from an
Italian tankette is, well, easy, and telling a Matilda II from a A-9
cruiser tanks is almost as easy.

--
Sillyness is the last refuse of the doomed.  P. Opus